Using Fish to Cycle

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am not using a fish to cycle my tank but was just thinking about how bad that would actually be.

Does the level of bacteria in the tank adjust to the bioload? e.g. If I have no Ammonia at all (i.e no inhabitants) then will all of the bacteria die off? I am starting a nano tank which will have 2, maybe 3 fish maximum and I plan to add them one at a time. Assuming I cycle my tank and add my first fish, and then wait a couple of months for my second, will the bacteria not have reduced to the minimum required to support that first fish. Therefore, when I add my second, will that not be the same as if I had just added 1 fish to my uncycled tank in the first place?

Secondly, with the current cold weather and the distance to my LFS, it could be 2-3 weeks after my tank is cycled before I can purchase my first fish. I assume I can keep the tank cycled with occasional dosing of ammonia?

bark1ngspider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend dr Tim’s bacteria and no once tank is cycled I wouldn’t keep adding ammonia drops/if you really wanted to add mysis shrimp to keep feed the bacteria

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I guess my question is, when I add the second fish will the ammonia spike again? And if, not, why not?

And why mysis shrimp but not ammonia?

bark1ngspider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia could spike after adding another fish but I would just do a water change...just make sure ur bio load and filter aren’t out of porportion(not too many fish and a small filter

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back