Using fresh garlic to combat ich?

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard and read about using garlic as a ich remedy looking for first hand experience and testimonials thanks ginger powder i heard of on a youtube video guy puts the powder in their food?

OP
OP
kp1991

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will help the fish's immune system just like it does with ours, but it won't cure ich
Any suggestions gotta baby blue hippo and shes clinged to the bottom of a rock no heavy breathing so far. Ate very good this morning concerned

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will help the fish's immune system just like it does with ours, but it won't cure ich
yep he's correct.it's kinda like pot for fish.it stimulates the appetite.just keep the cookies and chips away from the tank

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions gotta baby blue hippo and shes clinged to the bottom of a rock no heavy breathing so far. Ate very good this morning concerned
If she is eating try metroplex and focus and fresh garlic ground up to some good frozen food. It will help her build up an immunity to the ich

OP
OP
kp1991

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she is eating try metroplex and focus and fresh garlic ground up to some good frozen food. It will help her build up an immunity to the ich
Well she ate this morning tried to feed a lil tonight and usually she springs up and attacks the **** outta the food but she didnt just stuck to her rock

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tang who used to get ick, not bad, and I'd use garlic drops in the water and it always went away. Helped her fight it off I think. I use it in my food, esp. for new fish. Just a ocuple drops per bottle of made up food.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gamma frozen food some of which contains garlic as well, to try and give the fish a variety of food, and hopefully help them maintain a healthy immune system to fight this sort of thing. I don’t think it’s a cure as such.

Banouie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, it doesn’t get rid of ich but it’s definitely helped my fish (similarly, a Regal/Hippo Tang) in the past. I basically pulped a load of garlic until it was a super fine and added a tiny bit of rodi water until it was a runny paste. I soaked all of the food in this and also added separately. I still add on occasion now as imo it definitely encourages feeding and speeds up metabolism. Good luck

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my line of experience, whether they are a fish, bird, or any type of mammals, garlic is just not as effective on the parasite other than the anti-parasitic treatment itself. Garlic as a stimulant for appetite or boost, yes, but garlic as the actual parasitic treatment, no.

OP
OP
kp1991

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input shes still movin around turned pale in color i hope she makes it through until i can get some of that metroplex

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my line of experience, whether they are a fish, bird, or any type of mammals, garlic is just not as effective on the parasite other than the anti-parasitic treatment itself. Garlic as a stimulant for appetite or boost, yes, but garlic as the actual parasitic treatment, no.

Additionally there are several studies that show it can lead to liver damage in aquatic animals. If your fish are eating well it adds nothing IMO.

The anecdotal stories about garlic/ich are very likely due to the life cycle of ich itself. The stage of the parasite that creates the visible white dots falls off on it's own in a few days whether treated or not. This leads people to think their fish are "cured" or that they were helped by (fill in the blank with any number of reported but unproven treatments) when in fact their fish are still infected.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched that video - pretty good! Only major disappointment was advice on using mild/subtherapudic copper. Might be doable with some ick strains but therapeutic levels are typically listed as they work - just need to measure, measure.

Original poster - Also lots great articles & pinned threads available in this forum.

OP
OP
kp1991

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all you guys input and advice truly unfortunately this morning she didnt make it shes now in the lords aquarium in fishy heaven i couldnt survive her i think the illment really stressed her out

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the path I'm following to cure my tank of ich

Beyond helpful info

I also bought this book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C3RQO02

The first part of the video is excellent!

Unfortunately, the second part will cause lots of people misery. Fallow period is not 42-56 days it's 72 days, minimum . Follow the directions for dosing copper found in the fish disease forum here. He also didn't mention that water changes without dosing the new water with copper before using it is mandatory. Otherwise you lower the dose to an ineffective level and will likely not eliminate the parasite.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back