OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is off topic but not having been in a chemistry since high school (50 years ago!) I did not know these single channel pipettes existed. When I watched a video on using it correctly the clinician disposed of the tips each time she used them. At $.30 each that is a little steep for my self-funded "lab." ;) My question may justly cause you to roll your eyes but I'll risk that and ask, if I label the tips and only use each type in specific regents can I get away with reusing them?

Also just a second note....If you rinse the tips well in RODI water and let the dry they can be reused

Reefhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay love this post. Now that I have resources to accurately test for iodine, what form of iodine should I dose to my tank????

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay love this post. Now that I have resources to accurately test for iodine, what form of iodine should I dose to my tank????

iodide, IMO. I think that form is more readily bioavailable. When I experimented with iodate, it accumulated. Iodide never did. I dont like dosing I2 due to it being less natural and more reactive.

Reefhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply and the work and time you invest solely for the love of reefing and helping newbies like myself. I applaud your dedication.

You are for sure most welcome...

My Mantra is ...Explore ...Learn...Share...makes us all better

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!

Have you tried to prepare a standard curve with iodate? It may be the dominating form in reef tank water (it is in the ocean) even if you dose iodide.

Actually have not...but would be a fun project.. what would you recommend as Standard reagent

Rick

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool article. I wonder if a Reefbot could perform this test accurately if programmed to. It's basically a robot with a colorometer measurement chamber.

The temperature is a wildcard, but given a known room temperature, some assumptions could be made.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool article. I wonder if a Reefbot could perform this test accurately if programmed to. It's basically a robot with a colorometer measurement chamber.

The temperature is a wildcard, but given a known room temperature, some assumptions could be made.
Thanks

Not real familiar with the Reefbot but based on my limited knowledge it is only two reagents and a 10 mL sample...should fit in...with regards to the temp...as long as the temp at the time of the test is consistent from test to test the regression could be fixed at that temp ans should deliver good results....also the timing is very critical when the measurement is taken...don't know if the Reefbot can do that or not..

Thanks for the reply

rick

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Not real familiar with the Reefbot but based on my limited knowledge it is only two reagents and a 10 mL sample...should fit in...with regards to the temp...as long as the temp at the time of the test is consistent from test to test the regression could be fixed at that temp ans should deliver good results....also the timing is very critical when the measurement is taken...don't know if the Reefbot can do that or not..

Thanks for the reply

rick

Seems completely viable to me. I hope they read this article. If not I will send it to them.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for this thread! Probable a stupid question but is the Hanna Iodine checker not going to work in salt water?

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for this thread! Probable a stupid question but is the Hanna Iodine checker not going to work in salt water?
You are most welcome Actually Hanna says it is not suitable for use with salt water...but that being said I have never tried it. They said the the same thing about the Silica tester and Copper trster but they have been shown to work..might be worth a try...Good question

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most welcome Actually Hanna says it is not suitable for use with salt water...but that being said I have never tried it. They said the the same thing about the Silica tester and Copper trster but they have been shown to work..might be worth a try...Good question
I had the same question. I have read reviews that said people are using it for reef tanks. Wondering if anyone on here has tried it yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same question. I have read reviews that said people are using it for reef tanks. Wondering if anyone on here has tried it yet.

This one?

I cannot imagine using it. The claimed accuracy is +/- 0.1 ppm, which is larger than the value present in normal seawater. The lowest nonzero reading the device can even give is 60% higher than is present in natural seawater.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back