USING HANNA CHECKER HI-707 TO TEST FOR IODINE

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I just attempted the test. Followed instructions to a "T". Came up with 37 ppb. After multiplying and adding to the result I came up with 0.2095475204. So my Iodine is 0.21ppm? Seems pretty high no? I feel like I did something wrong. My test sample after adding the reagents by the time the timer gets to 1:45 lightens up to almost clear just a very opaque orange. Any thoughts? Maybe my Iodine levels are that low??

Last edited:

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I just attempted the test. Followed instructions to a "T". Came up with 37 ppb. After multiplying and adding to the result I came up with 0.2095475204. So my Iodine is 0.21ppm? Seems pretty high no? I feel like I did something wrong. My test sample after adding the reagents by the time the timer gets to 1:45 lightens up to almost clear just a very opaque orange. Any thoughts? Maybe my Iodine levels are that low??
What salt are you using? Reef crystals has high iodine. I was getting around 0.2 ppm. I stopped using it because of that.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using? Reef crystals has high iodine. I was getting around 0.2 ppm. I stopped using it because of that.
I use Brightwell Neo Marine. I did an ICP test 2 weeks ago and my Iodine came back last Tuesday at 0.02ppm and this was after I had dosed it twice the week prior @ 1ml in my 20 gallon Cube.

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Brightwell Neo Marine. I did an ICP test 2 weeks ago and my Iodine came back last Tuesday at 0.02ppm and this was after I had dosed it twice the week prior @ 1ml in my 20 gallon Cube.
I can tell you that this test does work well. Since I’ve switched to Red Sea blue bucket salt, which has normal levels of iodine, my iodine level has dropped back down to about 0.06 ppm. This is by just doing weekly water changes.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that this test does work well. Since I’ve switched to Red Sea blue bucket salt, which has normal levels of iodine, my iodine level has dropped back down to about 0.06 ppm. This is by just doing weekly water changes.
Hmmm I wonder why mine is so high. I'll do another ICP test and see where I'm truly at. As I said by the time the minute and forty five seconds is up the test sample has turned from orange to almost clear.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow...That is for sure high....that is an order of magnitude high! ..I would guess that would be harmful to some of the critters in the tank if they are all ok then there is for sure something going on with the test itself...so...just to review the steps

Measure Sample water temperature.

1) 10 mL sample size (I actually rinse out the vial with a small amount of the water to be tested)
2) add .5 mL Reagent A
3) add .8 mL Reagent B...Start timer immediately
4) Invert Sample Vial 8-10 times to mix
5) measure blank while timer is going...
6) When C2 appears on meter display insert test vial
7) At the end of 1 min 45 seconds press read button immediately ...

If you wish I can PM you with my address and shipping instructions and you can send me a sample and we can both test it and compare our results...and go from there

rick

Last edited:

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...That is for sure high....that is an order of magnitude high! ..I would guess that would be harmful to some of the critters in the tank if they are all ok then there is for sure something going on with the test itself...so...just to review the steps

Measure Sample water temperature.

1) 10 mL sample size (I actually rinse out the vial with a small amount of the water to be tested)
2) add .5 mL Reagent A
3) add .8 mL Reagent B...Start timer immediately
4) Invert Sample Vial 8-10 times to mix
5) measure blank while timer is going...
6) When C2 appears on meter display insert test vial
7) At the end of 1 min 45 seconds press read button immediately ...

If you wish I can PM you with my address and shipping instructions and you can send me a sample and we can both test it and compare our results...and go from there

rick
Definitely followed the testing instructions exactly.

LOL yeah you're right that is crazy high and if it really was that high I would definitely be seeing it wreaking havoc somewhere and it's not. All of my corals are happy SPS LPS and softies and mainly I know the first to show signs of iodine poisoning are inverts and they are all doing just fine. I have four different species of snail and two species of hermit crabs. Everyone is going about their business like normal.

I could always send you a sample I guess that's not a bad idea I would just be afraid that we might get some evaporation from the Heat in the mailing process and would skew the results.

As I said during the minute and 45 second countdown my sample goes from Orange to almost clear or an opaque Orange. It did it to me the last time I was using the redsea test kit on its own and I freaked out thinking I had extremely elevated levels of iodine and ended up doing an "emergency" water change at 2am! Lol everything was fine though.

And thanks a lot by the way for offering your services and being so helpful! I really appreciate that.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely followed the testing instructions exactly.

LOL yeah you're right that is crazy high and if it really was that high I would definitely be seeing it wreaking havoc somewhere and it's not. All of my corals are happy SPS LPS and softies and mainly I know the first to show signs of iodine poisoning are inverts and they are all doing just fine. I have four different species of snail and two species of hermit crabs. Everyone is going about their business like normal.

I could always send you a sample I guess that's not a bad idea I would just be afraid that we might get some evaporation from the Heat in the mailing process and would skew the results.

As I said during the minute and 45 second countdown my sample goes from Orange to almost clear or an opaque Orange. It did it to me the last time I was using the redsea test kit on its own and I freaked out thinking I had extremely elevated levels of iodine and ended up doing an "emergency" water change at 2am! Lol everything was fine though.

And thanks a lot by the way for offering your services and being so helpful! I really appreciate that.

I will PM you with shipping instructions...So we can get this figured out...Also had another though...If you could send me a small amounts of your reagents we could check to see if that is a problem

Rick

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.21 ppm iodine is only 3.5x NSW levels, and I do not think it is likely a big deal. I’ve seen folks report higher levels by icp, but we don’t know what form that takes.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will PM you with shipping instructions...So we can get this figured out...Also had another though...If you could send me a small amounts of your reagents we could check to see if that is a problem

Rick
Thanks for the help. I mean I spent $50 on a Nitrite tester for the sole purpose of testing Iodine so it would be cool to figure it out. My reagents should be fine as it's a brand new test kit that I bought from Marine Depot

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, here's someone who had ten times the level you have with iodine (via ICP):

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, here's someone who had ten times the level you have with iodine (via ICP):

Thanks Randy for sharing this information...Learn something new in this hobby every day...

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to add really, but just wanted to say thank you! ;Happy

I've been going over dosing iodine but it's already in a 4 part system I'm planning to use. Don't know the level, don't add it I've learned, so this will help get a grip on it. Luckily already have the Hanna tester for this so only need the reagent.

A couple of posts back someone mentioned the official Hanna Iodine checker. Has anyone made any comparison in the meantime between this method and that tester?

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to add really, but just wanted to say thank you! ;Happy

I've been going over dosing iodine but it's already in a 4 part system I'm planning to use. Don't know the level, don't add it I've learned, so this will help get a grip on it. Luckily already have the Hanna tester for this so only need the reagent.

A couple of posts back someone mentioned the official Hanna Iodine checker. Has anyone made any comparison in the meantime between this method and that tester?

Most welcome...I have not seen any work related to the Hanna Iodine Checker HI-718 and it's use in saltwater...Interesting question though...might be worth a try.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you mean the Iodine Checker® HC - HI718, it is not at all suitable. It measures different compounds (not iodide) and only at high concentration.

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean the Iodine Checker® HC - HI718, it is not at all suitable. It measures different compounds (not iodide) and only at high concentration.

I was thinking the accuracy might be way of, but the precision might be good enough. So use this alternative method to get an accurate level, and them use the simpler 718 method to maintain.

Doesnt sound like that's going to work.. sad to see they are selling the kit at every lsf I've come across..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the accuracy might be way of, but the precision might be good enough. So use this alternative method to get an accurate level, and them use the simpler 718 method to maintain.

Doesnt sound like that's going to work.. sad to see they are selling the kit at every lsf I've come across..

Right, cannot work. This checker is for the highly oxidizing compounds used to sterilize pools and spas (I2 and HOI), not for the forms present in seawater (iodide, I-, and iodate, IO3-)

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, cannot work. This checker is for the highly oxidizing compounds used to sterilize pools and spas (I2 and HOI), not for the forms present in seawater (iodide, I-, and iodate, IO3-)

Alright thanks, too bad nobody in the stores seems to know or care.. That's not just 60 bucks wasted, but people might actually start dosing based on the results.. Sending out some emails, hope it's just unknown and not a money grabbing thing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back