Using kalk solution (Watery paste) on Aptaisia outside of tank affect PH??

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled rocks out and treated the pests heavily around the zoas / coral etc and put them back in, some washed off partially and some not even washed off, white solution clearly still on the rock in the tank. My apex PH probe didnt register a big jump in PH (still around 8.3), but Hanna PH pen said near 8.5. So I pulled out the calibration solution for the neptune, warmed them in sump and my probe was nearly spot on (7ph & 10ph) so I tried to calibrate the Hanna Ph tester, it was off on the calibration solutions but finally sora matched but said the tank ph was around 8ph, I checked the neptune probes again and still on point, played with the Hanna and got up to 8.18ph. QUESTION IS, SHOULD THE PH JUMP WHEN TREATING KALK AND PUTTING THE ROCKS BACK IN? OR DOES THE KALK BECOME INACTIVE WHEN APPLIED OUTSIDE THE TANK??

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH could definitely jump depending on how much is used. You typically don’t want to jump more than 0.2 pH units.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your imput, I was just confused that it didn't raise the PH quite a bit! though maybe it precipitated on contact with the wet rock while outside the tank, the sensors really confuse me and the backup hanna checker isn't helping at all. thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your imput, I was just confused that it didn't raise the PH quite a bit! though maybe it precipitated on contact with the wet rock while outside the tank, the sensors really confuse me and the backup hanna checker isn't helping at all. thanks again

Not sure how much you added to what volume, but adding about 2.5 level teaspoons of calcium hydroxide to a 100 gallon aquarium will boost pH by about 0.6 pH units.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much you added to what volume, but adding about 2.5 level teaspoons of calcium hydroxide to a 100 gallon aquarium will boost pH by about 0.6 pH units.
this is my quarantine tank in garage about 75 gal, I have a bucket with a stirrer and a dose line covered with a thin filter sock to avoid as much dissolved powder as possible dose is around 2800 ml per day over 24 hrs, but its the probes and hanna ph+ tester that are conflicting and since I have to calibrate both myself, I cant trust anything :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back