Using Kalk Stirrer/Reactor with AF 123+

Steve's Reefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm currently running a 210 Gallon Mixed Reef. My daily usage of each 123+ component is 400 mL. I have been mixing my own as per the AF Recipe but I would like to reduce 123+ consumption by adding a Kalk Stirrer/Reactor.

My evaporation is about 1.5 Gallons/Day so that is my Kalk Solution addition limit. What is the best way to start introducing the Kalk? How much should I reduce the 123+ for every Litre of Kalk Solution?

Would continuous dosing throughout the day be best or should I try to flatten my pH curve by dosing when pH is typically lower? My pH currently fluctuates between 8.15 to 8.3 currently with a CO2 Scrubber on my skimmer.

Based on my pH spike of 8.3 at about 7:30pm each day I could to start adding the Kalk around midnight for 12-14 hours to flatten out the bottom of the pH curve.

I target 9 for Alk, 450 for Ca, 1450 for Mg and use the Red Sea Blue salt if it makes a difference.

BTW pH is my secondary objective but not the primary. Reducing the AF 123+ demand is the primary objective.

Cflow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m doing something similar with kalk and tropic Marin all for reef. I dose about 500ml saturated kalk mix split so about 2/3 of the dose goes in at night to keep ph up and the last 1/3 when lights are on. This still lets my dkh drop about 0.1 per day so I dose the tropic Marin for the remainder. I’m just getting into kalk but the benefit has been great for me in regards to ph. I also have recirculating co2 scrubber but my ph still never goes above 8.2.

Do you keep "Reef Safe with Caution" fish?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 295 62.1%
  • NO

Votes: 165 34.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.2%
Kessil