Using Marine Pure to seed new tank.

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months ago I put about 2 boxes of Marine Pure inside of mesh media bags in the rear chamber of my AIO tank. I did this because I am wanting to start a new tank soon. I am now ready to setup my new Innovative Marine NUVO 20.

I am planning on using all new sand and new dry rock (Reefsaver).

What do I need to do to properly seed my new tank with the beneficial bacteria that is in my Marine Pure spheres? Do I just setup the sand and aquascape like normal and then take out the media bags with the Marine Pure spheres from my old tank and put them in the new tank and let it circulate for awhile? Do I need to test for ammonia and nitrite and nitrates? Well this method work?

Thanks so much

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably place those in the rear chamber adjacent to the pump in your new IM tank. With existing rock this should be enough. Without existing rock, you may need to supplement with something like Bio-Spira.

lazyd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can plop the seeded media in but you'll still want to test for how well the biological filter of your tank is functioning. Its best to dose 2 ppm of liquid ammonia and see how fast it drops down to 0 ppm. When your tank can process 2 ppm of ammonia in a ~24hr time span, you're good to go!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back