Using natural Pacific Ocean water and Coral care

PracticalEccentric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have personal experience using natural Pacific Ocean water in their reef tank... any issues or downsides to the use of store bought natural ocean water in a reef aquarium?... mainly concerned about meeting the needs of corals and inverts but any mention of known issues would be greatly appreciated as well... Thank You!

OP
OP
PracticalEccentric

PracticalEccentric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand? True real pacific water would be great. Something you buy may not fit that bill, regardless of the name.
787D7420-9C97-4F35-BA75-A38E60693CEC.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have personal experience using natural Pacific Ocean water in their reef tank... any issues or downsides to the use of store bought natural ocean water in a reef aquarium?... mainly concerned about meeting the needs of corals and inverts but any mention of known issues would be greatly appreciated as well... Thank You!
There's 2 major players, Ocean in motion and Catalina water. I use both, I prefer Ocean in Motion. They leave micro plankton in theirs. But when I can't get Ocean in Motion then I go to my LRS. Get Catalina water brand. I only use real ocean water. Proof in the pudding

Still working on my photography skills

Screenshot_2019-08-20-17-00-08-1.png

U

User1

View Badges
I've used real Pacific ocean water pulled in from Monterey off a beach / shore. Best stuff when it is natural. California is water crazy regardless of what Mother Nature throws its way. With that in mind I've a few times made some calls to the state water resource control board and also the fish and game to see where I could collect. Long and short of it is anywhere that isn't a marine reserve or state/national park :)

I make a day trip out of it and go diving then collect 50 gallons or so and head home.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back