Using Neptune DOS to transfer water to my SPS Frag system

Vreef007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I recently set up a frag system in my garage. The goal is to frag and grow SPS in this tank which contains about 60 gallons… Since the frag tank is pretty far from my display tank, I came up with the idea of using my Neptune DOS (currently used for auto-water changes) to transfer water from my main display into the frag system. I then setup a separate DOS to remove the same quantity of water from the frag tank (this water does not return to the display). I figured this would be a good way to stabilize the frag tank parameters by using water from my established display tank which is doing pretty good. My questions are:

1) Is there truly any benefit to using water from my established tank to feed my frag tank as far as bacteria, beneficial sponges and life that may grow in the frag tank as a result?

2) Transferring about 2 gallons a day to the frag tank and removing 2 gallons as well. Is this too much water leaving the smaller tank on a daily basis? I believe Randy Holmes mentioned auto water changes should consist of approx 1% of the total water volume per day. I’m doing about 3% in the frag system.

Bottomline, I don’t know if this is a recipe for disaster or success. Hoping for some guidance/advice. Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly use the DOS for this (something it excels at). I assume this would also be a way to accomplish water changes remotely for the frag tank (as it's pulling water from the main display). I don't see any downside other than your two separate (and isolated) systems are now connected, so anything potentially harmful to either tank would have a way to be passed by. In terms of the quantity of water transferred, that probably couldn't be answered without knowing the origin and destination tank sizes.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't provide advice on whether it's a good idea or if the amount of water change is too much, I can provide guidance on the Apex setup as I recently helped someone else with this same idea.

Setup the DOS tubing as shown here:
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 5.57.01 PM.jpg

Then simply set all 3 DOS heads to move the exact same volume of water on the exact same time schedule. Be sure to calibrate all 3 so they're pumping equally.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The diagram illustrates exactly what I am doing.
No problem. Also, please note that the tubing connections I recommended above don't match what Neptune recommends for their AWC setup, but for a good reason as I explain in this post:

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know this is a old tread but was considering doing the same. Has anyone done this without the 3rd head pulling from the frag tank? I was thinking just having a overflow drain to the sink drain vs pumping it out. As water is delivered to the frag system via DOS water would just drain as the level increases. Anyone doing it this way?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old tread but was considering doing the same. Has anyone done this without the 3rd head pulling from the frag tank? I was thinking just having a overflow drain to the sink drain vs pumping it out. As water is delivered to the frag system via DOS water would just drain as the level increases. Anyone doing it this way?
I feel like If this was done the frag tank would eventually start to climb in salinity

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I guess it would depend on the size of frag tank and size of my awc on the main system, right? I was thinking a 15g frag tank and doing 1gal/day from my awc. Either way I guess I would need to watch salinity at top off if needed.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to set my frag tank up like this as well, off of the AWC. Did anyone figure out how to keep the salinity in check short of having yet another ATO ?? I really really do not want to be putting in a second ATO system, but not sure how to avoid it.

GoodMoodley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add my experience. I have recently set up a 40 breeder as a frag tank. I have a 100 total gallon DT that is on an Apex DOS doing AWC at 2.5 litres per day or about 5 gallons per week. I ran the output of the DOS to the 40 and I did drill an overflow in this tank as well. The overflow just goes to a drain. I also have an ATO on the 40 but I still started experiencing salinity creep. I think the DOS AWC is replacing evaporate before the ATO has a chance to kick in.

For now I am just running the DOS output to a bucket and will simply add it to the tank daily.

Back