Using old live sand?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. So my tank is about 8 months old now and sand has started to settle, and some has been vacuumed out over time etc. I wanted to add little bit more sand on top of what I have in there to freshen it up. The thing is, I have half a bag of live sand left from 8 months ago when I started the tank. It’s bone dry now so I was wondering if I could just rinse and use this sand or if the die off from it no longer being live would cause any sort of ammonia spike?

thanks!

Jesse O.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. So my tank is about 8 months old now and sand has started to settle, and some has been vacuumed out over time etc. I wanted to add little bit more sand on top of what I have in there to freshen it up. The thing is, I have half a bag of live sand left from 8 months ago when I started the tank. It’s bone dry now so I was wondering if I could just rinse and use this sand or if the die off from it no longer being live would cause any sort of ammonia spike?

thanks!
I've done this with my 15 gallon column saltwater tank. It's also established (over 5 years) and I added live sand to it since most of the sand had been sucked out. The difference with me is I used live sand that was still moist and I only added about 5 pounds. It worked great and looked awesome again too! My guess is for your case depending on how much you plan on adding; if you rinse it off good it should clean the sand of some or most of its impurities.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rinse it really good until the water runs clear and it will be fine.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep rinse, rinse, and rinse again

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back