Using predatory fishes to create a school or a shoal of other fishes in reef tank

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the caption says, I know it's kinda stupid but is it ok if I put an eel, a shark, or even a sea bass into my 110 gallons tank in order to keep the chromises , anthiases , bangaii cardinals staying in groups ?
After reading some articles about those shoaling fishes, I find this might be a possible way to do it in a closed system. Any thoughts ? :D

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm if I were to add one, I’d say an eel on the smaller size. Maybe a snowflake? I mean, in the wild don’t fish shoal to evade being eaten...do you want to add that stress to your tank and fish

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the way to keep them not killing each other, then yes i will do want to. I will also try to feed the predatory fish a lot of food so that they will not try to have a taste on the living one :D haha

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think this will work although I admire the thought. The most likely outcome is that your small fish will be eaten in a tank of 110 gallons. You would need public aquarium size tank for anything like this to be possible. If the fish are scared enough of a big predator they will hide in the rocks or in a corner of the tank, not shoal or school in a beautiful way. I had a clown knife in a freshwater tank as a child and this is what my other fish did (many were eaten before I finally gave him away).

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the entire thread and watch the video you will.see that they do loosely shoal together...wouldnt call it 100 % success but so far im happy with the outcome....

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good info in that thread, it was late when I posted and so I didn’t read it all. One good idea in it is to use a jerk fish in the tank, which is kind of like OP’s idea to have a predatory fish. Lasse’s tank doesn’t seem to have one of these fish but has more peaceful shoalers that may not need a threat to shoal.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schooling just isn't happening, though shoaling is possible. When I first added a bunch of resplendent anthias, they were quite small and easily intimidated by my larger tangs, so they did stay together. Less so as they grew ….. and apparently worked out that the tangs weren't going to eat them anyhow. I think 110 is too small though, certainly for any kind of shark.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back