Using Red Sea Trace Colors with BRS 2-part Calcium and Alkalinity dosing | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the video...you guys have some great videos out there with great factual information. However, I use the Coral Colors product, and I have found that dosing based on calcium uptake does NOT make sense. There is not a predictable correlation between trace elements and calcium utilization. Every tank and combination of life forms is different in its need and utilization of trace elements. While I agree that it is better than blind dosing, it is still misleading, especially to new reefers. Since iodine (and related forms) can be tested for (to a point), I have found that if you dose Red Sea Iodine based on calcium consumption you will overdose the tank with Iodine. I have also found that the Red Sea test cannot adequately detect Fe (and its various forms) so there is no valid way other than perhaps an ICP test to measure levels to see if you are dosing too much or too little. Likewise, potassium is not a trace element and it does not get consumed at the rate Red Sea suggests (at least not in my system or the systems of a number of my friends). Dosing based on calcium uptake resulted in elevated levels of K when I was utilizing their dosing regime. Although elevated K levels are not really harmful in the high 400, and perhaps even low 500 range, it is not something that is needed to obtain great colors from that element.

I like Red Sea products and they are my choice for many test kits and additives, but the coral colors dosing system, in my opinion, is misleading for new reefers and should not be followed to the letter as it can result in overdosing some of the elements. I use the Red Sea colors at about 25% of the dosing rate they recommend. For Iodine and Potassium, I only dose when the test indicates a deficiency, which is rare in my system. There are too many variables such as livestock, salt mix, frequency of water changes, etc, to make blanket dosing recommendations for this product.

motohead400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great vid--I've been doing exactly this and going longer and longer between water changes with great success.

motohead400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great vid--I've been doing exactly this and going longer and longer between water changes with great success.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the video...you guys have some great videos out there with great factual information. However, I use the Coral Colors product, and I have found that dosing based on calcium uptake does NOT make sense. There is not a predictable correlation between trace elements and calcium utilization. Every tank and combination of life forms is different in its need and utilization of trace elements. While I agree that it is better than blind dosing, it is still misleading, especially to new reefers. Since iodine (and related forms) can be tested for (to a point), I have found that if you dose Red Sea Iodine based on calcium consumption you will overdose the tank with Iodine. I have also found that the Red Sea test cannot adequately detect Fe (and its various forms) so there is no valid way other than perhaps an ICP test to measure levels to see if you are dosing too much or too little. Likewise, potassium is not a trace element and it does not get consumed at the rate Red Sea suggests (at least not in my system or the systems of a number of my friends). Dosing based on calcium uptake resulted in elevated levels of K when I was utilizing their dosing regime. Although elevated K levels are not really harmful in the high 400, and perhaps even low 500 range, it is not something that is needed to obtain great colors from that element.

I like Red Sea products and they are my choice for many test kits and additives, but the coral colors dosing system, in my opinion, is misleading for new reefers and should not be followed to the letter as it can result in overdosing some of the elements. I use the Red Sea colors at about 25% of the dosing rate they recommend. For Iodine and Potassium, I only dose when the test indicates a deficiency, which is rare in my system. There are too many variables such as livestock, salt mix, frequency of water changes, etc, to make blanket dosing recommendations for this product.

I definitely understand what you're getting at and that really speaks to the point of the difficulty here. Pretty much every single 2-4 part out there is tying trace elements to calcium and alkalinity uptake by including these elements in with the main solution. In that spirit the Red Sea is no different, other than they're able to maintain additional elements without perception.

However, if you choose to, with Red sea you can use less or more of each group of elements to match your tanks needs, in which flexibility like that is the significant benefit here. Alternatively, you could use ICP testing and dose each element independently but that really goes way beyond what most reefers would want to do.

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your reply back. I use it just as you suggested. I test what I can and dose when needed. Dosing FE (Coral Colors C) and Bioactive Elements (Coral Colors D) is the tough one since hobbyists can’t really test for FE or those trace metals in a meaningful fashion. You can use ICP for the D test at high cost. Testing for Iodine is tricky as well. Red Seas Iodine Test works well, but others like Seachem only pick up certain forms and make you think levels are low when in fact they may be high.

I felt it important to let inexperienced reefers know that blindly using a product based on the recommended dosing instructions is not always a good thing. Always best to test what you can and add or withhold accordingly.

Scuter911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy the videos and as someone who is still very new to this hobby. I do have the question of what advantage is there to switching to your two part, as opposed to the Red Sea Foundation elements? They appear to be quite similar? (cheaper, better, more effective, ???) Again still figuring all this out.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy the videos and as someone who is still very new to this hobby. I do have the question of what advantage is there to switching to your two part, as opposed to the Red Sea Foundation elements? They appear to be quite similar? (cheaper, better, more effective, ???) Again still figuring all this out.

Some reefers really like following an entire program, in which case Red Sea makes it very easy to get everything from major, minor and trace elements as well as coral food from their Reef Energy A & B. Others may simply start with supplementing just 2-part and desire to progress into minor/trace element supplementation down the road. There's been equal success among reefers in either approach, so choosing one that best fits your desires can lead to the same success. :)

Scuter911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers really like following an entire program, in which case Red Sea makes it very easy to get everything from major, minor and trace elements as well as coral food from their Reef Energy A & B. Others may simply start with supplementing just 2-part and desire to progress into minor/trace element supplementation down the road. There's been equal success among reefers in either approach, so choosing one that best fits your desires can lead to the same success. :)

Thank you for the response. So I gather then, that either or will work about as good.

sweendog87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would weekly water changes keep anything that is elevating at safe levels over a long period

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jeff, have you since found anything else out? Have you moved your dosing up to 50% or higher or do you still feel that 25% is were it needs to be for your system?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely understand what you're getting at and that really speaks to the point of the difficulty here. Pretty much every single 2-4 part out there is tying trace elements to calcium and alkalinity uptake by including these elements in with the main solution. In that spirit the Red Sea is no different, other than they're able to maintain additional elements without perception.

However, if you choose to, with Red sea you can use less or more of each group of elements to match your tanks needs, in which flexibility like that is the significant benefit here. Alternatively, you could use ICP testing and dose each element independently but that really goes way beyond what most reefers would want to do.

I agree Randy. The thing that bothers me is that Red Sea marketed this product as a safe and reliable way for anyone to supplement these minor and trace elements with demand SPS tanks demand. Is this misleading? Will every single SPS tank really do fine as long as you dose 1mL for every 20 ppm of Calcium consumed? Well...that is a very interesting question. Overdosing is a huge set back and I've seen several tanks nuked over the years including my own.

So here's a few questions I have.

Is there a link to the studies that were performed by Red Sea?
How many studies were done, where were they done, and how long did the studies last?
Has anybody other than Reef Jeff experienced overdosing with the Red Sea Trace Colors?

@Red Sea

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your reply back. I use it just as you suggested. I test what I can and dose when needed. Dosing FE (Coral Colors C) and Bioactive Elements (Coral Colors D) is the tough one since hobbyists can’t really test for FE or those trace metals in a meaningful fashion. You can use ICP for the D test at high cost. Testing for Iodine is tricky as well. Red Seas Iodine Test works well, but others like Seachem only pick up certain forms and make you think levels are low when in fact they may be high.

I felt it important to let inexperienced reefers know that blindly using a product based on the recommended dosing instructions is not always a good thing. Always best to test what you can and add or withhold accordingly.

I agree Reefer Jeff. Testing for Iodine is tricky. I need to try Red Sea's test if you like it. Testing for Strontium is a nightmare. I just don't trust it. I leave all of these to ICP. Have you heard of anybody else overdosing these elements?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back