Using RO water (not RO/DI) to rinse testing vials, etc.

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has been trying to get me to install a RO system on the kitchen sink. We have a squirt bottle that we keep at the sink filled with RO/DI water to rinse our testing equipment. She thinks having a RO installed with it's own faucet would be much more convenient. I agree but I don't think it would be the same as using the RO/DI I use for the tank.

So, questions?

Has anyone else done this? Would using just RO water instead be as good as using RO/DI water?

I always flush my RO/DI system when I turn it on before filling my water barrel. How does that work with an "always on" system that would be attached to a kitchen sink with it's own faucet? Do you still have to turn those on and purge them before using?

Am I overthinking this whole thing? :)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think as long as you test the water and it’s 0 tds it should be fine . I keep my test tubes submerged in rodi til I need to use them then I rinse a few times in tank water before testing . I also have a small soft mini bottle brush that I clean them with .

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think as long as you test the water and it’s 0 tds it should be fine . I keep my test tubes submerged in rodi til I need to use them then I rinse a few times in tank water before testing . I also have a small soft mini bottle brush that I clean them with .
Yeah, that's what I would think as well but I don't think a RO system (no DI) would bring it down to 0 so it might be pointless to do that. I would think using an ro wouldn't be a whole lot different that just using tap water, but wanting to see who has input on that.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 vote for RO/DI bc you already make it and bah convenience :)

edit: sorry I wanted to mention I rinse with tap and then fill and store with RO/DI from a squirt bottle too

Last edited:

Ben's Pico Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I habe never thought of this.. i clean mine with tap. But not bad idea. I usually will rinse just before testing by filling the tube with tank water, then pouring down drain or container then getting more again. Or use syringe to draw rinse and then fill. Never hurts to be overly clean testing. And i

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do rinse the vials with tank water before I test so probably another reason I am overthinking this. But I remember reading a bit on cleaning test vials when I started a while back and seems like there were a few more in favor of rinsing with ro/di rather than with tap but seems that anyone that rinses with tap only don't seem to (that we know of :cool:) have any issues with that.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water to clean everything associated with my tank. 4 years and running

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap to rinse. Never heard of storibg them with rodo water or rinsing with tank water. Whats the thought process forget it

Jason Hieger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I store them full is you can't easily dry the inside and it appears to leave a haze inside. Just my opinion though. Testing process: dump ro, rinse with tank water, test, fill with ro and repeat.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I store them full is you can't easily dry the inside and it appears to leave a haze inside. Just my opinion though. Testing process: dump ro, rinse with tank water, test, fill with ro and repeat.
Exactly what I do.
I believe the hanna says to store with water inside vials.

To the OP for years I had my RO under sink with a T to a faucet for drinking water.
I had it T’d off before the DI cartridge. Easier sell on my wife for “better“ drinking water.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using Hanna then yes I would recommend rodi for cleaning and storage but for Salifert etc it’s not so important.

Depending how ocd you want to go, just for vial cleaning I don’t think it would be worth putting in a RO tap, a container of rodi by the sink for rinsing is my method, but if you have the space etc putting a tap in is a nice have rather than a must.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to rinse my Hana cuvettes with RODI then rinse with tank water before use. Then I threw them all out because they were never as accurate as the titration type tests, but I guess that's another thread.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back