Using Rowaphos or Phosban to Clear Aluminum & Silicates

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how long it takes for Rowaphos to clear Aluminum and Silicates? I also have some Phosban on order. Also curious if anyone, Randy, knows how much it can absorb before depletion?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that's a typo and its 316 ug/L.

That aluminum is quite high and may be an issue (I saw coral issues in my tests at 500 ug/L).

The silica is not an issue unless you have a problematic level of diatoms.

That high of aluminum, if accurate, is likely better dealt with by removing the source (such as white media) rather than trying to bind it.

OP
OP
Brent Bohannon

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, typo. What do you mean by white media? The base to my RO Elite is white. The only media I use is carbon, bio pellets, and now rowaphos. I think the contamination is coming from my gooseneck for the AI prime. I just noticed it is severely rusted while doing some other maintenance. I am going to coat it all in silicone 1.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, typo. What do you mean by white media? The base to my RO Elite is white. The only media I use is carbon, bio pellets, and now rowaphos. I think the contamination is coming from my gooseneck for the AI prime. I just noticed it is severely rusted while doing some other maintenance. I am going to coat it all in silicone 1.

It might be from corroding aluminum metal, but by white media I mean things like Phosguard from Seachem or MarinePure blocks . Any white porous material that is in the water, since that often is aluminum based.

OP
OP
Brent Bohannon

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only stuff I use like that is x-port natural stone bio media balls. This is what I found. I have since sealed the holes with silicone. Sincerely appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 86428C70-39EE-4BA3-AD8F-4C18E0361265.jpeg
    86428C70-39EE-4BA3-AD8F-4C18E0361265.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 52

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only stuff I use like that is x-port natural stone bio media balls. This is what I found. I have since sealed the holes with silicone. Sincerely appreciate the help.

If that is the same thing as the Brightwell "dimpled brick" this reefer measured, it may well be the source of the aluminum:

OP
OP
Brent Bohannon

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I get for not just using crushed live rock. I’ll do another triton on Monday.

OP
OP
Brent Bohannon

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received ICP #2. After two weeks of rowaphos my Aluminum has dropped from 316 to 290 and silicates from 520 to 357. I pulled out the rowaphos just prior, as in an hour, to getting the results, because the phosphates are at near zero. My conclusions are that the rowaphos does work but removal of the media is a must. I will start that tonight with half of it and a water change. I think a giant warning needs to be posted about that media.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received ICP #2. After two weeks of rowaphos my Aluminum has dropped from 316 to 290 and silicates from 520 to 357. I pulled out the rowaphos just prior, as in an hour, to getting the results, because the phosphates are at near zero. My conclusions are that the rowaphos does work but removal of the media is a must. I will start that tonight with half of it and a water change. I think a giant warning needs to be posted about that media.

I'd personally conclude it is not a very effective or desirable method. If you keep using it, I'd dose phosphate or feed a lot more. Driving phosphate too low is likely a worse problem than either the aluminum or silicate.

OP
OP
Brent Bohannon

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I am going to let the tank go for a couple of months before the next ICP. We will see if the removal clears it up on its own with a water change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back