OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I do not use sodium hydroxide is the increase of Sodium that mess up the relative ion balance.
I fear it could cause more potential problems than this "new" option (When including the human factor...)
I mostly fear one day I would lose touch with the "real" salinity level of my aquarium since it's my referring point

But I never tried it, perhaps the increase is so little in practice that it wouldn't be a factor to worry about.

It's something I need to test to get a better opinion on it but none of my reef suppliers sell this in my area (Canada). (Quick search on amazon ca - https://amzn.to/3wFHQsF I have no idea if it's expensive, assuming yes)

I'm mostly trying to find different ways to lower aquarium maintenance lately.

Good to know for the Brightwell kalk+2, I haven't made a real search on it, thx!

I have 3 AIO aquariums and all of them use different ways to supplement the Alkalinity because they have different needs and purposes. I'm planning for the next one going with a more SPS dominant tank and going with calcium hydroxide in a classic way. Meanwhile, I'm having fun...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I do not use sodium hydroxide is the increase of Sodium that mess up the relative ion balance.
I fear it could cause more potential problems than this "new" option (When including the human factor...)
I mostly fear one day I would lose touch with the "real" salinity level of my aquarium since it's my referring point

But I never tried it, perhaps the increase is so little in practice that it wouldn't be a factor to worry about.

It's something I need to test to get a better opinion on it but none of my reef suppliers sell this in my area (Canada). (Quick search on amazon ca - https://amzn.to/3wFHQsF I have no idea if it's expensive, assuming yes)

I'm mostly trying to find different ways to lower aquarium maintenance lately.

Good to know for the Brightwell kalk+2, I haven't made a real search on it, thx!

I have 3 AIO aquariums and all of them use different ways to supplement the Alkalinity because they have different needs and purposes. I'm planning for the next one going with a more SPS dominant tank and going with calcium hydroxide in a classic way. Meanwhile, I'm having fun...

That's really an unfounded concern in this situation (IMO). If the primary depletion of alkalinity is due to the production and accumulation of nitrate (the main way a reef uses alk and not calcium), then that amount of sodium boost is very small relative to the natural 10,800 ppm level of sodium in seawater, and relative to the natural vairation of sodium in salt mixes we use.

If you do have substantial alk demand that is accompanied by calcium demand, then using a two part of sodium hydroxide and calcium chloride accompanied by Balling Part C eliminates any concerns about ion imbalance.

Back