Usps stuck it to me

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ordered a mantis shrimp from a guy on ebay who sends like a good guy. Well he did everything the right way in his end even upgrading from priority to overnight shipping to make sure it made it in a timely manner. But here usps took 2½ days to get it to my door. I want home but at work and it sat on the porch in the low 30s for maybe a hour before I found out and had my dad collect it. Well he got back with me telling me it the water was ice cold so he did a emergency no acclimation to his softie tank. I'm hearing they after a few minutes it went into the rockwork and he's currently monitoring it. Hoping it pulls through as the seller told me it was originally in 1.027 and I know my dad runs 1.024 along with water from freezing to 79°f but I guess that's way better than what it was in. Planning on leaving it there for a week or 2 seeing that the only fish in there are a bunch of cheap mollies and hoping I'll be replacing his cuc and not out of my first mantis shrimp over the incompetent usps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So i ordered a mantis shrimp from a guy on ebay who sends like a good guy. Well he did everything the right way in his end even upgrading from priority to overnight shipping to make sure it made it in a timely manner. But here usps took 2½ days to get it to my door. I want home but at work and it sat on the porch in the low 30s for maybe a hour before I found out and had my dad collect it. Well he got back with me telling me it the water was ice cold so he did a emergency no acclimation to his softie tank. I'm hearing they after a few minutes it went into the rockwork and he's currently monitoring it. Hoping it pulls through as the seller told me it was originally in 1.027 and I know my dad runs 1.024 along with water from freezing to 79°f but I guess that's way better than what it was in. Planning on leaving it there for a week or 2 seeing that the only fish in there are a bunch of cheap mollies and hoping I'll be replacing his cuc and not out of my first mantis shrimp over the incompetent usps.
Mantis will eat cuc and urchins and at times fish
One I had even ate my sea hare
USPS less than dependable

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis will eat cuc and urchins and at times fish
One I had even ate my sea hare
USPS less than dependable
I'm aware of that. With there only being mollies and a cuc we're not too worried. You know maybe 50 bucks in fish snails and crabs versus losing a 150 dollar stomapod is pretty much a obvious choice. But yeah usps complete garbage

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
viridis is pretty resilient, they're good hitchhikers for a reason, glad to hear its going well so far!

To ease the acclimation shock, temperature is the only thing that I would make sure is textbook every time, float the bag to warm it up for at least 30 mins. As soon as that bag opens and oxygen mixes with the water, ammonia and PH get weird and that can do more damage over the acclimation period than speeding it up.

O. havanensis and a few mud species different story, those I still haven't gotten down on which is better.

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of today it's doing pretty good with destroyed nerite shells and emerald claws all over the place. As for the temperature acclimation, well my dad isn't the best with this kind of thing but I respect the attempt. I just ordered a bunch of live rock from tbs and hoping I score another mantis for free. I've already started prep for that unlikely situation. My luck the most I get is a gorilla crab if the gods are looking down on me.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of today it's doing pretty good with destroyed nerite shells and emerald claws all over the place. As for the temperature acclimation, well my dad isn't the best with this kind of thing but I respect the attempt. I just ordered a bunch of live rock from tbs and hoping I score another mantis for free. I've already started prep for that unlikely situation. My luck the most I get is a gorilla crab if the gods are looking down on me.
TBS is good stuff. I had 1 small gorilla, 2 decorator crabs, 3 red mithrax (all removed), and four porcelain crabs (still in DT). It has been a great experience!

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS is good stuff. I had 1 small gorilla, 2 decorator crabs, 3 red mithrax (all removed), and four porcelain crabs (still in DT). It has been a great experience!
Nice, I hope I get something worth while but if nothing else I know there will be some elite bacteria that I would otherwise never have asking with some macro since I went with the premium rock

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha yeah back in the day they were a real issue. Surviving for weeks in drying out live rock. Keep us updated

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It carved this cave itself and has been aggressive during feeding time
20221127_220715.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back