Ut oh... I think my clown just layed eggs....

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed this strange behavior that I've never seen before in a pair of tomato clowns that I have. I noticed the female swimming upside down under a rock and then the male doing the same. When I took a closer look, I saw this:

IMG_8448-1.jpeg
IMG_8447-1.jpeg

Are those eggs? If so, what's the next step. My weekly water change for this tank happens tomorrow. Should I skip the water change?

I wasn't planning on this. I don't know what to do. Of course, I want to give them every chance!

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 - So you're saying yes? What should I do?? Guessing I can add "Clownfish breeder" to my resume.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree they’re eggs

move the rock to a temporary setup it will skip cycle over and provide the full filtration base for the hatchery. * consult clown breeders for how long they should stay in tank, it may be that we dont move them out till just before hatching. I’m not sure if they get parental care for a while longer

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those eggs have been there for a few days. They are orange when laid and turn silver as the babies develop. They will be hatching in the next 24 to 48 hours at lights out. I would dive into the fish breeding forum for more info. Chances are you will need to wait until 1 or 2 more clutches to try to raise any.

Good job. This means your clowns are nice and happy. Keep us posted on what you try to do.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those eggs have been there for a few days. They are orange when laid and turn silver as the babies develop. They will be hatching in the next 24 to 48 hours at lights out. I would dive into the fish breeding forum for more info. Chances are you will need to wait until 1 or 2 more clutches to try to raise any.

Good job. This means your clowns are nice and happy. Keep us posted on what you try to do.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to move the Tomato clowns into a holding tank and leave the rock where it is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My eyes must be going LOL. I see a bunch of spirobids and rest of image fuzzy to me.
Ive had tons of clutches. Starts out look like this:

eggs1.jpg
eggs4.jpg
eggs7.jpg
eggs9.jpg

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that when the eggs are first layed, they look like your photo. But feedback has been that these eggs are expected to hatch within 24-48 hours. So I expect they have been there for a while, I just noticed today.

How did you deal with the clutches?

My eyes must be going LOL. I see a bunch of spirobids and rest of image fuzzy to me.
Ive had tons of clutches. Starts out look like this:

eggs1.jpg
eggs4.jpg
eggs7.jpg
eggs9.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been told that when the eggs are first layed, they look like your photo. But feedback has been that these eggs are expected to hatch within 24-48 hours. So I expect they have been there for a while, I just noticed today.

How did you deal with the clutches?
Mine took about 3 days and yes they do change color and start to tremble/wiggle the last few hours.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back