Utilizing T5 and LED's in a combo fixture

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'm looking to see what kind of experience you have i this area and if there is any impact doing it one way or the other.

I am using an aquatic life dx18 T5 fixture (dimmable) and I installed two Radion G5's in it. Tank is a 5' peninsula, 26" wide, 24" deep. Lights are about 10" off water.

Since I can control the T5/G5 separately, the question is how best to establish a lighting schedule?

I'm not currently using the dimmable feature of the T5.

What I am doing is starting off with the radions, then bringing on the T5's for a "high noon" effect for 4 hours. When the T5s come on, I drop the G5's 10% as i didn't want too much of a par hit. When the T5s go off, i ramp down to dusk with the G5s.

I want a dusk/dawn effect and short of using the dimmable feature on the T5, the radion is the option.

How are folks using this lighting combo (T5/LED more than my specific ones)?

How long is you lighting period?

Do you hold the lighting at a "high noon" effect for x hours or do you ramp up, peak and drop back?

Would love any feedback and happy to answer questions. Tank is predominantly SPS.

Thanks

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'm looking to see what kind of experience you have i this area and if there is any impact doing it one way or the other.

I am using an aquatic life dx18 T5 fixture (dimmable) and I installed two Radion G5's in it. Tank is a 5' peninsula, 26" wide, 24" deep. Lights are about 10" off water.

Since I can control the T5/G5 separately, the question is how best to establish a lighting schedule?

I'm not currently using the dimmable feature of the T5.

What I am doing is starting off with the radions, then bringing on the T5's for a "high noon" effect for 4 hours. When the T5s come on, I drop the G5's 10% as i didn't want too much of a par hit. When the T5s go off, i ramp down to dusk with the G5s.

I want a dusk/dawn effect and short of using the dimmable feature on the T5, the radion is the option.

How are folks using this lighting combo (T5/LED more than my specific ones)?

How long is you lighting period?

Do you hold the lighting at a "high noon" effect for x hours or do you ramp up, peak and drop back?

Would love any feedback and happy to answer questions. Tank is predominantly SPS.

Thanks
I wanna know the same as I want to get a hybrid fixture to run with my Kessils. I dont want a shock of crazy par one day when I plug it in for the first time. Seems like a lot of light lol

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since both are dimmable why not ramp up the G5's then start ramping up the T5 until you hit your "high noon" for 4 hours, then slowly ramp back down.

There are plenty of templates for lighting out there that you can adjust to your liking. I would pick one and just go with it.

If you don't use the dimmable feature on the T5 then it just seems you paid extra for no reason.

What light was on the tank before? When adding you can just simply add the T5 or whatever for an hour a day, increase the time each week until you hit your desired schedule.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know the same as I want to get a hybrid fixture to run with my Kessils. I dont want a shock of crazy par one day when I plug it in for the first time. Seems like a lot of light lol

You could just dial back the intensity of the kessil when adding in the t5. Add the t5 for an hour or two a day, increase each week until you get to the desired length of time on the T5. Then ramp back up the intensity of the kessils

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high should T5’s be mounted above the water? Not tryna steal the homies post lol but I’m sure my questions will help him too

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high should T5’s be mounted above the water? Not tryna steal the homies post lol but I’m sure my questions will help him too

Since the T5's are supplemental to the LED I would mount the fixture at the same height you have the LED. But that's just a general statement. It's really going to be dependent on how much par you're looking to get out of the fixture.

You would really need a par meter and test the par with all the lights on to know the ideal height.

OP
OP
PSU4ME

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the fixture before i decided to run the gen 5 but yeah, ideally if i'm not using the dimmable feature, its a wasted feature.

I'm thinking i'll just invest the time to figure out the dimming (i have the cable and an apex).

Do folks feel that the T5s are needed with the Gen 5? I have 2 gen 5s on the tank now and a 3rd one sitting on the shelf. Originally i wanted T5s to help with shadowing as i bought gen 4s.......then the gen 5s came out and i got them and shadowing isn't much of a concerns.......and i just got the diffusers in.

Dropping the T5 also avoids my having to burn in bulbs before using them in a dimmable fashion.

Tank is new (well 4 months old)

jcreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you supplementing LEDs with the T5’s or vice versa? That will help determine how you go about the light schedule.

For my tank, the LED’s are the primary light source (for the PAR), and the T5’s serve as supplement to fill in the shadows. So I ramp up with the LEDs, and a few hours before thr LEDs hit max intensity, the T5’s come on for a few hours. Then the schedule reverses during the afternoon. In total, the LEDs are on for 10 hours and the T5’s are on for ~5 hours within that 10 hour photo period.

Jeff

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dim t5 lights. That will mess up their life span (Short as it is already) and also still use quite a bit of energy anyway.
From what I have seen, a Photo period of less than 12 hours is better.

OP
OP
PSU4ME

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designed to have the T5 (4 of them, I can make it 2) supplement the LED.

Currently i have the t5s come on from 1-5pm but i was trying to avoid the full blast (almost 200 par) from turning them on full power.....thats why i drop the radion intensity back 10% when they come on.......collectively they add 100 oar this way.

I don't like the idea of dimming because of potential bulb/ballast problems. I suppose running only 2 bulbs at a time is a way to get some T5 benefit without so much of a par increase

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back