UV and All-for-Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

covjéfé

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using All-for-Reef for months and my alk has been stable. Two weeks ago I added a UV light to my system, which seems to have affected All-for-Reef's effectiveness. My alk continued to drop all the way down to 7.3 (just taken 20 minutes ago) even after I upped A4R dosage last week. Does A4R have any known incompatibility with UV sterilizers? I understand that how A4R works is it contains something bacteria feeds on and that the product of this process increases the alk.

I did add five or six coral frags three weeks ago but I don't believe they would have increased consumption by this much.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
UV will increase water clarity which increases light penetration and this will increase alk consumption. It’s almost the same as increasing your light intensity. I can almost guarantee your pH is higher than normal. Higher pH= Higher alk consumption

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't see a direct connection to the All-For-Reef. I'd rather see the termination of some kind of inhibition of calcification, for example by the destruction of organic substances that bind trace metals, besides increase of light penetration.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back