UV and All-for-Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

covjéfé

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using All-for-Reef for months and my alk has been stable. Two weeks ago I added a UV light to my system, which seems to have affected All-for-Reef's effectiveness. My alk continued to drop all the way down to 7.3 (just taken 20 minutes ago) even after I upped A4R dosage last week. Does A4R have any known incompatibility with UV sterilizers? I understand that how A4R works is it contains something bacteria feeds on and that the product of this process increases the alk.

I did add five or six coral frags three weeks ago but I don't believe they would have increased consumption by this much.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
UV will increase water clarity which increases light penetration and this will increase alk consumption. It’s almost the same as increasing your light intensity. I can almost guarantee your pH is higher than normal. Higher pH= Higher alk consumption

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't see a direct connection to the All-For-Reef. I'd rather see the termination of some kind of inhibition of calcification, for example by the destruction of organic substances that bind trace metals, besides increase of light penetration.

Back