UV died again - How to check if it is the transformer or the bulb?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aqua 57w UV system seems to have died again! I purchased the system used and had to replace the bulb already (about 4-5 months ago). The prev owner said he had already replaced the transformer as well.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot these systems to see if it is my bulb that died again or if it is the transformer?

@Brew12

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran one of these for many years. I don't think I ever had a bulb die, they just lost effectiveness. If you turn off the flow of water thru the UV and leave UV on, then the bulb may be overheating and burning out. Also, be sure the quartz sleeve the bulb goes into is clean & clear.

The light can be turned on outside the unit (to see if bulb is igniting), just don't look directly at it (it will damage your eyes).

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without having a spare bulb to test it, you would probably have to check the output from the transformer to the bulb socket with an electric meter.

I ran one of these for many years. I don't think I ever had a bulb die, they just lost effectiveness. If you turn off the flow of water thru the UV and leave UV on, then the bulb may be overheating and burning out. Also, be sure the quartz sleeve the bulb goes into is clean & clear.

The light can be turned on outside the unit (to see if bulb is igniting), just don't look directly at it (it will damage your eyes).

I removed the bulb and it will not light up...and the bulb looks burnt on the ends a bit. I don't like that this is another bulb blown, though. This is the second bulb that has blown with this UV in the past year. I am concerned either the transformer is malfunctioning or maybe I don't have enough flow through the system to keep the bulb cool...I'm only running it around 400gph right now.

I"ll try to contact the company and see what they say with their support.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400gph I would think keep the bulb plenty cool. AquaUV website says only need to turn off light if the chamber is drained or flow is off for more than 30 minutes. Maybe the transformer is putting out too much power?

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400gph I would think keep the bulb plenty cool. AquaUV website says only need to turn off light if the chamber is drained or flow is off for more than 30 minutes. Maybe the transformer is putting out too much power?
That's what I'm thinking about the transformer.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI never look at a UV bulb when it's on! That will burn your eyes pretty bad.

My aqua UV 57 burns out the bulb every 9-12 months. I bought it new and asked about warranty but was told if they cut the transformer open to test it and it's not bad you can't use it anymore anyways. I also have a 15 watt from them and run really really low flow through that and the bulb is still working 2 years later.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to add the 57w...looks like it has a shooter life than 25w??

I'm not sure overall if the 57w has a shorter lifespan, but mine seem to go through bulbs. I have a new bulb, but just haven't hooked it back up yet.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine (2 in different tanks) burn out bulbs every 6-9 months. It is generally recommended to change bulbs at 6 month intervals.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a second hand 25W, and bought a new 57w transformer and new 57 watt bulb to upgrade it. I contacted aqua UV directly and they said that is totally find and even told me the part numbers to buy. Just got them in yesterday but havne't hooked them up yet. I had always read to change out the bulbs yearly. I'm hoping they last close to that long because I don't want to have to replace the bulb every 6 months. I'm guessing the 57w ones may just have a very high power density and could be prone to overheating and causing shorter life than a 25w that is the same size.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stinks. You bought a good, presumably reliable brand. I don’t think your water flow is too low. I run 200-300 gph through my 57 watt version with no issues. Mine has been running for about 3 years now. Good luck.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an Aqua UV 25 watt for 10 years on my first tank, 2004-2015. It was plugged into the same powerstrip as my return pump. Only when the return pump was on was the UV on. I changed the bulb once a year. I don't remember ever losing a bulb. It just lost effectivity. I don't run UV on my current 150 gal tank.

The flow rate is important. Too fast and it's not really effective. Too slow and it's too effective. I always ran it higher flow so that it never killed too much bacteria.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back