UV for aquarium: Does size of tank matter?

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 9-gallon nano tank which currently has dinos. I am running a green machine UV which worked the first time but this time around I'm not thinking so.... So id like to buy an aqua UV sterilizer to replace it and my LFS has a good deal on one but it's the 15 Watt one rated for up to 75 gallons.
So my question is can I use this part-time on my tank now and later to my 30 gallons when I upgrade can I still use it? Just not sure if it will work on my 9 gallons because obviously, the flow rate will be super low.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you install the JBJ nano Zapp which is only 3 watts or the Biocube Coralife mini uv at 5 watts? Both would be ideal for a 9 gallon AIO.

I just installed the BioCube mini 5 watt on my 12.5 gallon AIO and did see a small temp increase, but I use closed tops. The jump was from 78.0 to 78.4 F. I have a chill solutions chiller so it kept it at bay, but like others have chimed in, a 15 watt UV will really increase the heat of a small nano such as yours.

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you install the JBJ nano Zapp which is only 3 watts or the Biocube Coralife mini uv at 5 watts? Both would be ideal for a 9 gallon AIO.

I just installed the BioCube mini 5 watt on my 12.5 gallon AIO and did see a small temp increase, but I use closed tops. The jump was from 78.0 to 78.4 F. I have a chill solutions chiller so it kept it at bay, but like others have chimed in, a 15 watt UV will really increase the heat of a small nano such as yours.
Thanks I ended up using it and it raised to 82°F which was still okay. All in all it raised the temp but was able to keep it on 24/7 because it didn’t over heat it to bad! That being said I have a mesh top for heat to escape and went through a lot of ATO water

Back