UV not working on Ostreopsis

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I diagnosed my Dinos as ostreopsis (and only ostreopsis) via microscope and macro characteristics (eg: mostly on the rocks and in the GHA, long bubbly strings, rusty red/brown, disappears at night).

I installed the Innovative Marine Auqa Shield UV for the Lagoon 25; but it doesn’t seem to be eliminating the Dinos.

I do a 24 hour light out to give them time to pass through the UV—but two days later they always come back. I see nothing on day one and slowly watch them multiply on day 2.

Should I keep the UV while I attempt additional methods or just give up on it? My next step will be dosing silica to induce a diatom bloom. I would like to dose heterotrophic bacteria but I’ll need the UV down for that (BRS says leave it off for 48 hours after dosing).

Tank specs:
Lagoon 25
Sicce 1.5 return on max
Auqa shield UV
Nitrates @15ppm; Phosphate @0.3ppm

NOTE: tank is one month old, but I imported a zoa rock from a tank with Dinos

NOTE: please don’t recommend the elegance corals method; I’ve heard too many stories about people losing corals during that so I’m trying gentler methods since the Dinos aren’t killing anything.

Last edited:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the dr tims method, thats the only thing that worked on ostreos for me. I even tried the elegance corals method and that didnt work. About 3-4 weeks of dosing dr tims products and phyto and i finally beat them

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the dr tims method, thats the only thing that worked on ostreos for me. I even tried the elegance corals method and that didnt work. About 3-4 weeks of dosing dr tims products and phyto and i finally beat them

I’ll try that! I have both of his products for the method already

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All,

I diagnosed my Dinos as ostreopsis (and only ostreopsis) via microscope and macro characteristics (eg: mostly on the rocks and in the GHA, long bubbly strings, rusty red/brown, disappears at night).

I installed the Innovative Marine Auqa Shield UV for the Lagoon 25; but it doesn’t seem to be eliminating the Dinos.

I do a 24 hour light out to give them time to pass through the UV—but two days later they always come back. I see nothing on day one and slowly watch them multiply on day 2.

Should I keep the UV while I attempt additional methods or just give up on it? My next step will be dosing silica to induce a diatom bloom. I would like to dose heterotrophic bacteria but I’ll need the UV down for that (BRS says leave it off for 48 hours after dosing).

Tank specs:
Lagoon 25
Sicce 1.5 return on max
Auqa shield UV
Nitrates @15ppm; Phosphate @0.3ppm

NOTE: please don’t recommend the elegance corals method; I’ve heard too many stories about people losing corals during that so I’m trying gentler methods since the Dinos aren’t killing anything.
It generally will not do much with existing spores especially if you dont have enough wattage. What method has been the most effective for myself and many:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have the correct flow for your UV sterilizer. I also employed a Marine land micro filter which took a lot of spores out of the water column I bleach clean it every three days and allow it to dry after thorough rinsing. I also dosed Microbacter 7 and micro clean at 60 ml and 120 ml twice a week for my 200 gallon total sytem. I also raised the temperature to 82° which lowers toxicity but speed up production of Ostreopsis it did take five weeks of double dosing and major cleaning to nearly eliminate the dinos.I have tried blackouts and used gallons of peroxide and Dr. Tim’s to no avail this is the first method that worked for me. Good luck

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It generally will not do much with existing spores especially if you dont have enough wattage. What method has been the most effective for myself and many:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Couple questions on this:
  • For those of us not rocking a filter of sorts (Triton method really disposes of all filtration that's mechanical), what would you do?
  • Do you need to do anything with the H2O2 when this is done? Does it go away naturally?
  • What should you be doing with your protein skimmer during this phase?
  • Is this going to kill any inverts?
Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Couple questions on this:
  • For those of us not rocking a filter of sorts (Triton method really disposes of all filtration that's mechanical), what would you do?
  • Do you need to do anything with the H2O2 when this is done? Does it go away naturally?
  • What should you be doing with your protein skimmer during this phase?
  • Is this going to kill any inverts?
Thanks!
  • For those of us not rocking a filter of sorts (Triton method really disposes of all filtration that's mechanical), what would you do? Nylon stocking
  • Do you need to do anything with the H2O2 when this is done? Does it go away naturally? Its mainly water and will dissipate
  • What should you be doing with your protein skimmer during this phase? Keep it running and dump cup daily
  • Is this going to kill any inverts? Very safe.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • For those of us not rocking a filter of sorts (Triton method really disposes of all filtration that's mechanical), what would you do? Nylon stocking
  • Do you need to do anything with the H2O2 when this is done? Does it go away naturally? Its mainly water and will dissipate
  • What should you be doing with your protein skimmer during this phase? Keep it running and dump cup daily
OK, gotcha. For the stocking, do you just affix it to the downspout that goes into the sump?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OK, gotcha. For the stocking, do you just affix it to the downspout that goes into the sump?
Yes. tie with rubberband to piping and rinse out or replace daily

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One last question here! This should be ok for fish in the tank, right? This isn't going to hurt them?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One last question here! This should be ok for fish in the tank, right? This isn't going to hurt them?
Safe. I treated both a 660g tank and 135g tank using this method and never saw Dino again

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back