UV placement for Dino and cyano

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I’m having a dinoflagellates and cyano outbreak after using vibrant (took care of my gha, but now the other bad boys have taken over).

I’m using a canister filter and cheato reactor. Where should I plumb my new UV? I was thinking tank-> canister filter -> UV -> cheato reactor -> tank.

Thoughts?

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are not running a sump or have a second pump for the UV sterilizer. You have to make sure the UV bulb (watts) match up with the max. flow rate of your canister filter to provide max. contact time. UV should be after the canister filter if you ask me.

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea no sump, it’s going to be directly powered by the canister filter. Honestly, don’t know what the flow rate is. I over sized the uv filter to compensate for the unknown (55 watt lifeguard, for a 30 gallon tank).

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 watts UV for 30 gallon tank. You don't have to worry the flow rate. But you may have to monitor the water temp. in the summer time and not getting overheat

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have a type of dinos that responds to UV (not all of them do). I would just drop a small pump in the tank and plumb it to the UV with the effluent back to the display. It's temporary as most of the UV sensitive strains respond quickly.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back