Uv Sterilizer and Skimmer?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo it is because it kills the organisms quicker. And imo dead organisms are more easily skimmed. I aslo noticed this effect which imo is good.

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been running without uv for near a year. But once I added the uv back the skimmer started skimming more but didn’t go nuts.
I’ve noticed that the water is crystal clear within 12hrs but now it’s gin clear. It’s surprising how much has changed since I took it offline.

I never noticed the colour of the water till I looked from one side to the other. But now it’s back to how I had it. Things have gone down hill but I’m putting it down to not having the UV running. As I’ve not changed anything else. I dose and water change once a month as I doo.

so I’m going to say UV does help the skimmer and keeps the tank looking it’s best. But I have a UV bigger than needed as it’s an upgrade for the new 1100L tank.

hope all’s tanks are looking there best.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up a UV sterilizer yesterday and today when I turned on the skimmer a few hours after adding some phytoplankton, it went nuts !

I mean it will overflow in minutes. Like 3-5 minutes. This is my first skimmer and I don’t know what to do.

Do I keep emptying the cup and replace with saltwater ? I have a feeling I’ll be doing this all day…

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back