Uv sterilizer for dinos

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading that UV sterilizer may help in the fight against Dinos, im currently fighting ostreopsis, what size UV compared to tank size is needed and what throughput per hour.

I've also been working on raising nitrates and phos as well as added pods and dosing microbacter7

The tank is an IM 25 Lagoon..thanks.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you need at least 1 watt/3 gallons of DT volume and flow through the UV at 1-3x display gallons/hour. I like the lower end of that flow for more contact time. Of course it would be good to go even a little bigger than that. Minimum for your tank would be a 9 watt.

OP
OP
D

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you need at least 1 watt/3 gallons of DT volume and flow through the UV at 1-3x display gallons/hour. I like the lower end of that flow for more contact time. Of course it would be good to go even a little bigger than that. Minimum for your tank would be a 9 watt.
Thanks, I purchased a 9 watt from Amazon with a 50 gallon per hour..its not the best but with pandemic times its what I can get here quickly.

Attachments

• 20210120_113242.jpg
    20210120_113242.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
D

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the one I grabbed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210127-204949_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127-204949_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 123

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should definitely help. Keep the UV sleeve clean. The heat it generates can cause precipitation on the sleeve, especially if you keep your alkalinity pretty high. This will make the UV ineffective quickly. Don't ask me how I know this. :p
UV sleeve.jpg

OP
OP
D

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should definitely help. Keep the UV sleeve clean. The heat it generates can cause precipitation on the sleeve, especially if you keep your alkalinity pretty high. This will make the UV ineffective quickly. Don't ask me how I know this. :p
UV sleeve.jpg
Thanks, I'm new to UV so any help is appreciated..my Alk is slightly high at 9.8.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sleeve.jpg
Which UV brand is that?
The cheap, widely available green killing machine would make it very hard to get to the sleeve for cleaning. If that level of precipitation and fouling is occuring, then ease of cleaning access is more important than I thought.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one will definitely help this time around and may eliminate your problem this time. But probably may be ineffective next time since can’t clean it I have used these for one time solution in tank.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which UV brand is that?
The cheap, widely available green killing machine would make it very hard to get to the sleeve for cleaning. If that level of precipitation and fouling is occuring, then ease of cleaning access is more important than I thought.

That's an Aqua UV 57 watt unit. Another member here has had similar issues. Not too difficult to remove and clean. I check mine every couple of months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
D

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an Aqua UV 57 watt unit. Another member here has had similar issues. Not too difficult to remove and clean. I check mine every couple of months.
Should I be wiping all the brown strands off the glass and blowing off the rocks to get it through the UV

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sleeve.jpg
I just swapped out my bulb (also Lifegard) and my sleeve looked just like this. I also was getting a little algae growth which is when I looked at the date of my last bulb change...almost a year...oops.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To late to tell you IM makes a UV sterilizer that fits right in the first chamber of your AIO sump. I own one, bought it to kill Dinos works great.

OP
OP
D

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just swapped out my bulb (also Lifegard) and my sleeve looked just like this. I also was getting a little algae growth which is when I looked at the date of my last bulb change...almost a year...oops.
Do you get a sleeve everything you get a new bulb?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A short soak in 50/50 water/vinegar will remove the sleeve coating. I wish my unit was a little easier to inspect. I would rather check it a little too often than not often enough.

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get a sleeve everything you get a new bulb?
I keep the quartz sleeve as long as it’s not scratched up, and clean with vinegar. Yours is a different kind than mine, I saw as I read through the thread, mine is a lifegard aquatics ql25. i replace the liner and standpipe about every year since the uv degrades them. And I order new gaskets from time to time.

OP
OP
D

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the quartz sleeve as long as it’s not scratched up, and clean with vinegar. Yours is a different kind than mine, I saw as I read through the thread, mine is a lifegard aquatics ql25. i replace the liner and standpipe about every year since the uv degrades them. And I order new gaskets from time to time.
I see. I did read up on this one a bit more and it didn't mention a sleeve but it did mention everything you buy a bulb you get a new attic housing because they degrade over time..should you only change the bulbs when they wear out? Or how often do you change them..

As UVC rays can wear away plastic housings, your safety is secure as the housing is replaced with every bulb change. The bulb is sealed and there is no chance in getting it wrong or leaks.

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I did read up on this one a bit more and it didn't mention a sleeve but it did mention everything you buy a bulb you get a new attic housing because they degrade over time..should you only change the bulbs when they wear out? Or how often do you change them..

As UVC rays can wear away plastic housings, your safety is secure as the housing is replaced with every bulb change. The bulb is sealed and there is no chance in getting it wrong or leaks.
In an ideal world I replace my bulb every 6 months. Doesn't always happen though. The sterilizer is so low maintence I tend to forget about it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back