UV Sterilizer

Anthony Malagisi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if you guys use or recommend uv sterilizers in your tank setup and if so what ones do you recommend please help

Thanks
Tony

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yoo Tony!
This is always a widely discussed topic "to UV or not to UV"
Answers are always divided as to what to do, many say it's good, more are saying overkill for the system.
Some say it works for Ich and others are saying that HA is gone after a few day or longer since using one.
You just have to ask your self "what is a UV and how does it works?"

If you ask me and that is scientific proven it won't get rid of your Ich, now every time something passes your UV light it get sapped to die as the Ich too.
But not all Ichies in the tank are lining up to be sucked up by the UV :rolleyes:

Algae, yes it works for floating algae only as it needs to pas the UV in order to get sapped and monocular life is damaged or killed.
If algae is just on your rocks fight algae with algae.
If water isn't clear enough for you then I'm asking how clear you want your water?
Use of AC, socks, and in my case simple Micronano bubbling you will get your water clear enough to say or ask yourself if you still has glass between you and the water in your tank.

My advice is do a lot of homework yourself before you drop a few hundreds of $$$ for a UV.

Good question though.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread about cyanno bacteria and somebody claimed the UV sterilizer helps with it so I googled the hell out of it to find it to be false(according to the threads I read). I was convinced I needed one till I researched them more and more. The main reason I don't want one is the maintenance of replacing the bulb every 10 months or whatever it is. I like to keep my tank simple as possible but others claimed success with using the uv so I guess it's all up to the reefers preference.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I guess my next question would be do I need or should I get a protein skimmer for a FOWLR tank

And if so do you think this would be any good

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/251630654625

If nutrients go skyrocketing yes, many times a trickle filter will do the trick.
IMO, it's a piece of mind but set it on a timer and only use it during the day as the night your tank is nice and quiet.
Besides if you ever decide to do a reef you have the skimmer already.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yoo Tony!
This is always a widely discussed topic "to UV or not to UV"
Answers are always divided as to what to do, many say it's good, more are saying overkill for the system.
Some say it works for Ich and others are saying that HA is gone after a few day or longer since using one.
You just have to ask your self "what is a UV and how does it works?"

If you ask me and that is scientific proven it won't get rid of your Ich, now every time something passes your UV light it get sapped to die as the Ich too.
But not all Ichies in the tank are lining up to be sucked up by the UV :rolleyes:

Algae, yes it works for floating algae only as it needs to pas the UV in order to get sapped and monocular life is damaged or killed.
If algae is just on your rocks fight algae with algae.
If water isn't clear enough for you then I'm asking how clear you want your water?
Use of AC, socks, and in my case simple Micronano bubbling you will get your water clear enough to say or ask yourself if you still has glass between you and the water in your tank.

My advice is do a lot of homework yourself before you drop a few hundreds of $$$ for a UV.

Good question though.
+1
For what it is worth, I use one simply for free floating algae. It does prevent daily buildup on the glass and the water is visibly clearer... like said above, they can be pricy and won’t help you if you get an undersized unit...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note and maybe a funny thing is that I installed a UV for a friend but never plugged it in.
One week in the tank cleared up and HA started to die off.
My friend told everybody that his UV was the best thing ever till I told him a month later to plug it in.
True story and no he ain't running a UV anymore :p

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note and maybe a funny thing is that I installed a UV for a friend but never plugged it in.
One week in the tank cleared up and HA started to die off.
My friend told everybody that his UV was the best thing ever till I told him a month later to plug it in.
True story and no he ain't running a UV anymore :p

Wow, a UV placebo effect! Thanks for sharing!

Back