UV Sterilizer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is not quite as relevant as the purpose. It is also recommended to go bigger than smaller. For this size of tank and to control algae, I would consider something in the 50-100W range with reasonably fast flow where as if you are seeking to reduce pests and pathogens, you'll desire a lower flow around 350gph if I am not mistaken.

OP
OP
H

hockeyhilite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is not quite as relevant as the purpose. It is also recommended to go bigger than smaller. For this size of tank and to control algae, I would consider something in the 50-100W range with reasonably fast flow where as if you are seeking to reduce pests and pathogens, you'll desire a lower flow around 350gph if I am not mistaken.
Thanks. Any UV Sterilizer brand of choice?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your original question, they are just another tool to help with parasites or bacteria/algae. I would recommend Aqua also but I would stay away from Pentair. I used to recommend them as I used one or a couple of years until the UV degraded the inside of the plastic and it started to leak. After doing research, it appears it is a common issue with those. I now am using an Aqua Ultraviolet.

OP
OP
H

hockeyhilite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your original question, they are just another tool to help with parasites or bacteria/algae. I would recommend Aqua also but I would stay away from Pentair. I used to recommend them as I used one or a couple of years until the UV degraded the inside of the plastic and it started to leak. After doing research, it appears it is a common issue with those. I now am using an Aqua Ultraviolet.
Thank you.

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lifegard pro max 55 watt. Runs non stop for about the last 2.5 years. It is "very" large and impossible to hide but nice material and easy to service. For a good size and quality they are pricey. I run mine about 300 gph for pest control.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never own a large reef without one, they're too helpful. for a nano/not so much needed as a rip clean accomplishes pretty much the same thing but is impractical to run on large setups. slow cook the water is ideal help for all kinds of issues in large/unreachable tanks.

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never own a large reef without one, they're too helpful. for a nano/not so much needed as a rip clean accomplishes pretty much the same thing but is impractical to run on large setups. slow cook the water is ideal help for all kinds of issues in large/unreachable tanks.
Agreed. I have ran reefs for 20 years and this is my first. Just the water clarity alone is awesome. I have a 120 cube btw.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to have one set up?

If so, which size to get. 130.5 gallon tank.

I don't recommend them unless you have a bacterial bloom in the water column. They destroy potential coral food and bacterioplankton that could compete with algae on the rocks/glass. Remember, water clarity is visually appealing but not always the most beneficial to the organisms we keep. I would NEVER use one if you plan on keeping things like clams, feather dusters, scallops, and other major filter feeders. Therefore their usefulness (outside of phytoplankton/bacterial blooms) ranges from actively harmful to useless to may possibly help a tiny amount (depending on a goal). They have specific uses, and arguably should not be applied to most tanks.

There is also published data that they don't significantly lower bacterial counts in the water, so that is something to consider too as to whether or not they actually do anything in typical scenarios.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to have one set up?

If so, which size to get. 130.5 gallon tank.
I apologize as I did not give you the correct information earlier. It looks like one could go with a smaller unit and would want a slightly higher flow than I suggested. I did forget to mention that if you do go lower, one might consider dosing phyto as this supposedly creates a deficiency. Nevertheless, do consider larger since many reefing hobbyist will upgrade tanks. I haven't had experience with Pentair but their products are acceptable on my pool.

Here's what I have and the next size up at 25W for your tank

OP
OP
H

hockeyhilite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize as I did not give you the correct information earlier. It looks like one could go with a smaller unit and would want a slightly higher flow than I suggested. I did forget to mention that if you do go lower, one might consider dosing phyto as this supposedly creates a deficiency. Nevertheless, do consider larger since many reefing hobbyist will upgrade tanks. I haven't had experience with Pentair but their products are acceptable on my pool.

Here's what I have and the next size up at 25W for your tank

Someone mentioned a 57w

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with that. It states it will support a tank of 355 gallons, however the flow rates that are published would be different for your tank but not so much for the expected exposure in the unit itself, which is what is listed for EOL@GPH listed.

As mentioned previously, I would take a look though at the specifications, as these can be helpful with understanding what you'd like to keep manageable. If you are considering this for algae alone, it might not really be the best investment as those issues typically persist once they take hold in the DT. If it's to keep it manageable while you build a natural defense, then yes I'd say that would be ideal. If it's for keeping your fish as healthy as possible, you'll want that lower flow of course and is certainly a great investment in that regard. Consider this with the appropriate variable DC pump and/or manifold to run more than one.

OP
OP
H

hockeyhilite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with that. It states it will support a tank of 355 gallons, however the flow rates that are published would be different for your tank but not so much for the expected exposure in the unit itself, which is what is listed for EOL@GPH listed.

As mentioned previously, I would take a look though at the specifications, as these can be helpful with understanding what you'd like to keep manageable. If you are considering this for algae alone, it might not really be the best investment as those issues typically persist once they take hold in the DT. If it's to keep it manageable while you build a natural defense, then yes I'd say that would be ideal. If it's for keeping your fish as healthy as possible, you'll want that lower flow of course and is certainly a great investment in that regard. Consider this with the appropriate variable DC pump and/or manifold to run more than one.
I was planning on getting the same return pump as I have now. Just incase of failure and it's an easy swap out if my main return pump fails.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back