Uv with separate pump run it tied to manifold port.

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, working on plumbing return layout, have the idea in my head of sending the uv return back through manifold port on the return with a separate DC pump I can regulate flow with. Is this going to mess with it or the tanks return pump flow since they will be going back through the same pipe to display tank? Also if I shut down uv to service or shut down return pump will this mess with sump water levels so much it isn’t worth the head ache and I should just get one of the cheap hang over return pipes and run the return line right up the back and into the display tank? Torn on this because I have a clean install going and this pipe and hose will be the only thing on back of tank. Thoughts on this, please and thanks in advance.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, working on plumbing return layout, have the idea in my head of sending the uv return back through manifold port on the return with a separate DC pump I can regulate flow with. Is this going to mess with it or the tanks return pump flow since they will be going back through the same pipe to display tank? Also if I shut down uv to service or shut down return pump will this mess with sump water levels so much it isn’t worth the head ache and I should just get one of the cheap hang over return pipes and run the return line right up the back and into the display tank? Torn on this because I have a clean install going and this pipe and hose will be the only thing on back of tank. Thoughts on this, please and thanks in advance.

Why not something like this?

uv.jpg

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not something like this?

uv.jpg
If I go this way I would need a flow meter on the uv to adjust the gate valve. If I run it with separate dc pump I will be able to control the flow with separate pump controls. Will this separate I could sill run the diagram but it will dual pump system? Would this be an issue?

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go this way I would need a flow meter on the uv to adjust the gate valve. If I run it with separate dc pump I will be able to control the flow with separate pump controls. Will this separate I could sill run the diagram but it will dual pump system? Would this be an issue?

If you're concerned with flow rates, a DC pump isn't going to get you entirely there, either. You'd need to perform some calculations to determine head pressure, then apply that to your pump flow rate in order to get actual flow rate. And even then, detritus and buildup in the plumbing is going to change the flow rate.

Really, the only way to know how much is going through the UV sterilizer is to measure it. Either with bucket test, or with a sensor. Anything else is just an approximation.

To answer your question about parallel pumps, the answer seems to be "it depends." And I'm not qualified to go into further details because we're discussing water, not electrons. Perhaps someone with a mechanical engineering background could elaborate.

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned with flow rates, a DC pump isn't going to get you entirely there, either. You'd need to perform some calculations to determine head pressure, then apply that to your pump flow rate in order to get actual flow rate. And even then, detritus and buildup in the plumbing is going to change the flow rate.

Really, the only way to know how much is going through the UV sterilizer is to measure it. Either with bucket test, or with a sensor. Anything else is just an approximation.

To answer your question about parallel pumps, the answer seems to be "it depends." And I'm not qualified to go into further details because we're discussing water, not electrons. Perhaps someone with a mechanical engineering background could elaborate.
Thank you, I don’t have an apex and would
Take any advice on flow meters, that work independently and not off the apex, know of any?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this fairly confusing and I know how hard it is to describe ideas In words typed into a forum. The only way I like to run a uv is laying down so that if the pump fails it won't empty of water and melt. I dont like using it on a return line either mostly for the same reason the uv running dry and overheating. I see alot of people trying to get creative plumbing in uv sterilizers. mostly to save some money witch im all for but keep safety in mind while doing so. Ill run my uv's from a pump or a manifold but not on a drain line or return line.

I think your asking about basically have two pumps on a manifold? Now is there one feed pump and one researchulating pump so to speak?

Also what are you running your uv for? Fish diseases/parasites or algae and bacteria?

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I don’t have an apex and would
Take any advice on flow meters, that work independently and not off the apex, know of any?

I don't, unfortunately. I'll be using my Apex for flow monitoring when I get around to it. And to @Pico bam's overheating concern, it'll be easy to code "If flow = 0, then UV off."

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this fairly confusing and I know how hard it is to describe ideas In words typed into a forum. The only way I like to run a uv is laying down so that if the pump fails it won't empty of water and melt. I dont like using it on a return line either mostly for the same reason the uv running dry and overheating. I see alot of people trying to get creative plumbing in uv sterilizers. mostly to save some money witch im all for but keep safety in mind while doing so. Ill run my uv's from a pump or a manifold but not on a drain line or return line.

I think your asking about basically have two pumps on a manifold? Now is there one feed pump and one researchulating pump so to speak?

Also what are you running your uv for? Fish diseases/parasites or algae and bacteria?

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 return pump, my uv will be laying down that is the only way I can keep it in the cabinet, I am thinking I will send the return line back to tank directly or run the return pipe into the return pump chamber on sump and send back, but leaning away from that because if the return pump fails and the uv pump is running I have a flood! So I think I will send it back to take with hang on return in the tank. Next issue where do I have my additional pump for the supply to the uv pull water from, after the filter sock chamber in the refugium chamber? In the small chamber that the return dumps into on the sump before the filter sock chamber? It will all be dry if the return pump fails I guess? But if I take a line back to the tank and pull directly from it, how do I cover the end of the plumbing pipe to keep it from becoming a fish and snail trap, it will have to go in display tank and that will be an issue?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watched this brs video yet? I think i understand what your saying but its worth watch.

Ment to post this one actually

Last edited:
OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watched this brs video yet? I think i understand what your saying but its worth watch.

Ment to post this one actually

I have watched one of them, I will watch the other one I have not seen yet. Thank you for your help on this, first time setting one of these up and trying to only do it one time and be correct. Lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back