UVs, who as been able to turn them off without issues.

Have you been able to turn the UVs off without negative effects on your tank?

• Yes, withouth problems

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Yes, with some minor issues (which issues were those?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, had major issues (which issues were those? Algae, disease, bacteria?)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all
The question of the day from Friday: UV Sterilizers: Are the benefits a MYTH or a REALITY?, as turned out to be a very interesting topic with lots of different experiences.

However, I was wondering, for those that use UVs, have you been able to disconnect them without having issues? Or do you find that when disconnecting them problems arise?

The idea here is not to get into the discussion of whether UVs work or not, you can do that at the Friday topic (link below). Just simple, can you turn your UVs off without a problem?

My question stems from my professional work. I do research in recirculation aquaculture.
In ecology there is a theory of R/K strategies in relation to bacteria growth. R bacteria are fast growers and generally opportunistic, while K strategists are slow growers. A typical example of K strategists are nitrifying bacteria. There are probably some ecologists in the forum that can explain this better then I can.
In my field of work it is one of the research fields and mentalities, that disinfection should not be used to allow slow growing bacteria (K strategy) to develop and take over. If the system is stable the bacteria will fill up all the systems carrying capacity (the systems maximum sustainable biomass) and will not allow bacteria with potential negative effects to take hold.
If you use a UV you will kill both bacteria, but since R strategist multiply must faster they can take a much faster hold and take over the system, creating a problem, if not controlled.
In marine larvae systems this has been shown to produce good results (articles below).
One thing that UVs do is transfer organic matter from the water column to fixed media (at least in RAS) by killing the bacteria in the water phase. Therefore, all organic matter that would normally be bound in their biomass is available for other organisms to use (normally the ones that will not come in contact with the UVs).
Now, bear in mind that this comes from the world of research and commercial aquaculture, where organic loads are much higher. However, from a stability point of view, our systems should be much more effective at this.

Thank you all for participating.

Literature

R/K strategy

The Theory of Island Biogeography

R.H. MacArthur, E.O. Wilson
Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ (1967)
Google Scholar

A strategy to obtain microbial control during larval development of marine fish
O. Vadstein, G. Øie, Y. Olsen, I. Salvesen, J. Skjermo, G. Skjåk-Bræk H. Reinertsen, L.A. Dahle, L. Jørgensen, K. Tvinnereim (Eds.), Proceedings of the First International Conference on Fish Farming Technology, Trondheim, Norway, 9–12 August 1993. Balkema, Rotterdam (1993), pp. 69-75
Google Scholar

Effects on marine larvae rearing
Recirculation as a possible microbial control strategy in the production of marine larvae.
Attramadal, K.J.K., Salvesen, I., Xue, R., Øie, G., Størseth, T.R., Vadstein, O., Olsen, Y., 2012a. Aquac. Eng. 46, 27–39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2011.10. 003.

The effects of moderate ozonation or high intensity UV-irradiation on the microbial environment in RAS for marine larvae.
Attramadal, K.J.K., Øie, G., Størseth, T.R., Alver, M.O., Vadstein, O., Olsen, Y., 2012b. Aquaculture 330–333, 121–129. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2011.11.042.

Transfer of organic matter

UV irradiation and micro filtration effects on micro particle development and microbial water quality in recirculation aquaculture systems
de Jesus Gregersen, K.J., Pedersen, P.B., Pedersen, L.-F., Liu, D., Dalsgaard, J.
(2020) Aquaculture, 518, art. no. 734785.
http://www.journals.elsevier.com/aquaculture/
doi: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2019.734785

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for you guys using UV sterilizers #reefsquad

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used a UV sterilizer for a while but did when I had a seahorse tank connected to a reef tank via sump. The UV was in the line going to the seahorse tank to kill pathogenic bacteria and parasites coming from the reef. My reasoning was that seahorses are much more vulnerable to especially dangerous bacteria. It seemed to work well as my ponies for the most part did well in that tank plus I raised 15 fry into adults and they really need to be free of pathogenic bacteria.

Eventually I moved the seahorses into their own system and took the UV sterilizer offline of the reef with out any negative effects at all.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 55w UV on a 75g for about 4-5 months both during and after the dino outbreaks I had battled. The only time it would get powered off was when dosing various beneficial bacteria additives. The UV was setup so it recirculated in the primary chamber of the sump to increase contact time. The UV light was left on for about a month after the last sign of dinos and then turned off. I experienced no ill effects or algae blooms after shutting UV off the last time.

I would like to say that the largest impact the UV light had was when a 3 day blackout was done with it being the only light source. After the 3 day blackout there was no trace of dinos but the UV was left on for a full month after wards to hopefully prevent any further redevelopment of dinos in the tank.

When running UV I saw no reduction in the development of film algae on the glass and cannot attest to it preventing any other nuisance algae as my tangs handled that in the main tank.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one why would you turn it off, well, unless it breaks or something. There seems no point In having it in the first place.

If you turn it off, what it’s there to potentially help prevent, may occur.

But as already said you can turn them on and off, but things might happen you’ve being trying to stop.

Hopefully this makes sense.....

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turning it off would defeat the point of running it.

Personally I have always viewed UV on a reef tank as a temporary tool to aid in resolving an issue and not something that is truly needed permanently. Those issues being free swimming parasites and certain types of algae or dinos that are suspended in the water column. Once these issues are resolved and the underlying reason that caused it, being improper QT methods, or poor water quality for example are corrected, the continued use of UV is not really warranted. This is because it is no longer serving much of any benefit to you or the stability of the tank. Well at least in my opinion.

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Thank you all so much for your feedback so far.
I find it an interesting topic.
It would be nice to hear from the two people that had problems. What were they?
For reference, I'm currently running a uv (battling algae\dinos) bit plan on turning them off eventually.
However, as I said before, my interest in the question is more academical (need alert )

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used a UV sterilizer for a while but did when I had a seahorse tank connected to a reef tank via sump. The UV was in the line going to the seahorse tank to kill pathogenic bacteria and parasites coming from the reef. My reasoning was that seahorses are much more vulnerable to especially dangerous bacteria. It seemed to work well as my ponies for the most part did well in that tank plus I raised 15 fry into adults and they really need to be free of pathogenic bacteria.

Eventually I moved the seahorses into their own system and took the UV sterilizer offline of the reef with out any negative effects at all.
Thanks for the feedback vlangel
When I breed ornamentals I also used UVs.
But if you see the literature above, they are big believers in not using desinfection for marine larvae in recirc systems. There are actually a few more articles like that.
I guess not your experience (or mine)

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 55w UV on a 75g for about 4-5 months both during and after the dino outbreaks I had battled. The only time it would get powered off was when dosing various beneficial bacteria additives. The UV was setup so it recirculated in the primary chamber of the sump to increase contact time. The UV light was left on for about a month after the last sign of dinos and then turned off. I experienced no ill effects or algae blooms after shutting UV off the last time.

I would like to say that the largest impact the UV light had was when a 3 day blackout was done with it being the only light source. After the 3 day blackout there was no trace of dinos but the UV was left on for a full month after wards to hopefully prevent any further redevelopment of dinos in the tank.

When running UV I saw no reduction in the development of film algae on the glass and cannot attest to it preventing any other nuisance algae as my tangs handled that in the main tank.
So far going through the same. Not sure if it helps or not but stays there until I'm sure dinos are gone.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far going through the same. Not sure if it helps or not but stays there until I'm sure dinos are gone.

It took about 2.5-3 months from initial onset to finally end the bloom. I used a multi-pronged attack that involved UV, repeated monthly dosing of live pods and live phyto, weekly dosing of micro-bactor7, FrytzZyme M460, SeaChem Stability, and Vibrant. Daily filter sock changes that had been soaked in bleach after use, and elevating and then maintaining nitrate and phosphate levels to 15 and .10 respectively. Daily routine involved physical removal of any dino colonies via turkey baster or blasted off the rockwork to be trapped and removed by the filter socks. I also performed the 3 day black-out at the end of treatment and then left the UV online for about 3 more months before shutting it down.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back