Vacation Advice

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going away for 2 weeks. In my tank, I have snails, hermit crabs, a pencil urchin, pistol shrimp, goby watchman, and 2 clown fish. It is a 32 gallon tank. Right now, I feed them every day either flakes or pellets AND frozen food. I do have an auto feeder (eheim) that I can use/setup. Can I just rely on this, and use this alone with pellets and/or flakes? I do also have alage wafers... meant for the urchin, but I've noticed that the pistol shrimp takes it into his lair.... Anything else I need to consider, as well?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How established is the tank? Are your fish used to being fed on a schedule with an auto feeder?

I recently went away for 2 weeks, auto feeder kept my fish fat and happy, but they are used to being fed by the auto feeder once a day, and twice on friday as I work 16 hours on fridays.

It's funny on my days off. I feed around 10am from the auto feeder then frozen at night. Right around 9:45 my fish start poking at the feeding ring.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the auto feeder as long as you can before leaving so you can adjust it correctly.
Flakes & pellets can be mixed together. Use a feeding ring to keep the food from wandering down the overflow.
Find someone to check the tank maybe 2 times a week & show them how to fill the top off container if needed.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for more than 5 weeks and had someone come every 4 days to feed the fish, add plankton for the corals and top off with rodi water.

Every fish and coral was fine when I came back.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be nervous leaving for 2 weeks, but ultimately if your ATO will last that long and you get the auto feeder setup your tank should be fine. As already recommended I'd try to setup and use the auto feeder for a while before going. With the eheim (and maybe all auto feeders idk) it is really really easy to overfeed the tank.
If you are dosing make sure to top of any containers before you leave and I'd show someone how to empty the skimmer if needed and possible.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back