Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, May 2, 2016.

Vacation Time!!!

As we approach the vacation season once again, your Reef Squad thought it might be a good idea to address some of the questions that keep some...
  1. CarCrazy

CarCrazy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Really helpful info here. I know I will be freaking out going away. But it's good to know it's possible to go away feeling good as long as you prepare for it ahead. I also like the idea of making a vacation trial run to see how things react and how to be prepared when you return.

kireek and dbl like this.

2. statru

statru Well-Known Member

TY for the thread! It's very through, insightful and precise. I can see there's more to add to my to-do lists prior to our getaway for our 40th anniversary in June. I've been worrying myself sick about the 'what-if's' while we're gone. Our granddaughter will be spending the week here taking care of the tank, dogs & cat. There are no local clubs or maintenance companies or sitters here in this rural area. I believe I'd rather find out afterward that she had a party here in our absence than to learn she only fed the fish once (right before our return). LOL, don't tell her I said that! I plan on freezing portions of the fish food along with written directions & reminders of what to do when, etc. I plan on only having her feed them every other day which should cut my anxieties in half as well. I also want to be sure I have anything readily accessible that might be needed in case of having to add top-off water, make a measurement of anything that could arise, place a stool near the tank in case she needs to upright a tipped coral, spare old towels in hand, etc. Most everything is automated now, but the webcam is a great idea that will be installed for more than one reason, Thanx for the tips! <*}}}><

3. TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth Reefed In R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Nice article... thank you

4. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor

Well, it's that time of year again, and this is a great article to cover my upcoming vacation! :)

5. LbulletM

LbulletM Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

I went on a long weekend vacation just a couple of weeks after adding my first fish and corals, and then another 10 day vacation after a week back at home. The tank was definitely in the back of my mind both times, but fortunately I came home to no issues and am a lot more comfortable leaving for a while now.

dbl likes this.
  6. GHsaltie

GHsaltie Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

Older thread, but still a lot of helpful tips, thank you for the write-up! Although I don't have all these things implemented yet I am very grateful to have two sisters who are reef savvy enough to handle things while I'm gone. Definitely is going to make me feel better while I'm away for the weekend at RAP.

dbl likes this.
  7. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

The author is hoping to be at RAP also...lol. I'm still working out some details.

8. wadew

wadew Active Member

May have already been said, but when I go on vacation, I always take a 1L polar seltzer bottle, fill it with RO/DI and put it upside down in the tank. When the water level drops, the opening will be exposed and the water will come back up. This does dilute the salinity a bit so if you have fish/corals that are really sensitive to salinity probably dont do this.

9. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

Mid-Summer bump!!
    It can't hurt to refresh the mind.
    Thanks again Dave and RS.

jsker, seastar and dbl like this.
  10. kireek

kireek PLANESWALKER R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

@Diesel !

Excellent article @dbl! You really thought of everything.I will be sure to share this thread with members who may need it.Thank you.

jsker, Diesel and dbl like this.
  11. seastar

seastar Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Heading for Maui Friday and this was part of my vacation prep list, thanks for the reminder!

dbl, jsker and Diesel like this.
  12. Jlentz

Jlentz Well-Known Member

I just got back from a week in the eastern sierras. Everything was all set then the day before I left my return pump psu died... Lfs had the same model in stock thankfully but sadly they changed the design a bit and it went from a 6A psu to a 5A psu. They also changed from American 1-1/4"threads to what appeared to be metric....

13. Cheryl’B

Cheryl’B Active Member

This is so helpful! My tank is in my office and I was worried about being gone for Thanksgiving. Because it’s longer than I’m usually gone I was getting concerned as to what to do.

Definitely worth a bump at this time of year.

Thank you for this post.

dbl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted