Vacuuming Sand Bed

PlantsBirdsAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a noobie question but I have tried other methods including searching for threads here and have either found nothing or the method I have tried doesn't work.

The problem is a have a thick matted layer of algae that doesn't break up easily and combined with the oolitic sand I have doesn't not want to come out when I vacuum.

Pinching the tube leaves the sand as well as the algae, and using full suction leaves the algae suspended in the tube, then falls back down to the sand bed when I stop. I thought about getting it out with a fish net but I'm afraid of disturbing the sandbed with it.

Any suggestions?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solid cleanup crew will make that unnecessary for you (ie Conch Snail, Hermit Crabs). I haven't cleaned my sandbed in going on 2 years as they take care of it for me.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stir mine once or twice a week. Just starting dosing nopox this week so I'm hoping that will help.

Also added a sea hare and this thing is devouring all algea.

20190915_150616.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 20 gallon, you have the option to take the whole tank apart, full rinse the sandbed in tap water to clarity, then saltwater final rinse, then set back up the tank cleanly it's called skip cycle cleaning. Thread of examples below is four years of us continually doing this and winning on the after pics

If it were dangerous, or bad for bacteria, this wouldn't be a book of solid fixes :)

Last edited:

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stir mine once or twice a week. Just starting dosing nopox this week so I'm hoping that will help.

Also added a sea hare and this thing is devouring all algea.

20190915_150616.jpg

Got me all excited until I looked at how much one of those little suckers are!

OP
OP
PlantsBirdsAndFish

PlantsBirdsAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 20 gallon, you have the option to take the whole tank apart, full rinse the sandbed in tap water to clarity, then saltwater final rinse, then set back up the tank cleanly it's called skip cycle cleaning. Thread of examples below is four years of us continually doing this and winning on the after pics

If it were dangerous, or bad for bacteria, this wouldn't be a book of solid fixes :)
Man it's going against EVERYTHING I was brought up to! Looks like a lot of work for my tank though. It's not just a 20L it's quite deep so would be a PITA. Mostly I'm worried about resurrecting my dying corals before making a huge change like that but you've definitely convinced me.

I just need to do a lot more research because I'm afraid of screwing it up. I would definitely rinse my sandbed on my next tank but tearing everything apart in order to get to the sandbed before the tank inhabitants are fully acclimated is a titanic task for a newbie like me! I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that action is designed to rejuvenate the corals :) total irony I know. the clean condition is never harmful, its old school info that told me and you that causing immediate cleanliness would be harmful, agreed im from back in the day too. thats new stuff~ but well, well tested. we broke away from the old info bc they couldnt keep tanks alive as consistently as that method does.

Doing that above is what makes tanks live forever, we show. it reverses old tank syndrome, coral issues, algae etc.

Not that we have to do it this way, but for small tanks, its ideal. its simply a cheat using tank size and access/ any large tank is benefited by that method just the same, but its too much work typically for them. unless they're moving homes, then they have to :) and we scoop up the work examples right there. we make predictions before the work is done how the tank will pan out and as a matter of pride that whole thread has zero ammonia testing because we dont need it. we know exactly how rip cleaning works, tank to tank.

when we direct a tank to become detritus and invader free, it does. no need to test, it'll be a zero ammonia rip clean if zero clouding is allowed to follow into the new tank.
B

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't hesitate to clean it up either.

Here's how I have done it in the past. Get a length of 5/8 or 3/4 clear vinyl tubing long enough to go from any corner of you tank into the sump. My piece is probably 7-8' long. Tie a filter sock around one end and toss it into the sump. I use a plastic spring clamp to keep it from falling out while I'm armpit deep in the tank. Start a siphon on the tube and start sucking up the algae in question. Don't worry about removing some sand too. Stop when your sand is clean. Carefully remove the filter sock from the sump and dump it into a 5g bucket. Clean the sand in the bucket until all the algae is gone. Return the now clean sand to the tank.

Next - figure out just why there is a algae issue and fix the problem. You will probably have to repeat the algae siphon a few times over the next month or two, but that will get you back on top of things.

hth!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a noobie question but I have tried other methods including searching for threads here and have either found nothing or the method I have tried doesn't work.

The problem is a have a thick matted layer of algae that doesn't break up easily and combined with the oolitic sand I have doesn't not want to come out when I vacuum.

Pinching the tube leaves the sand as well as the algae, and using full suction leaves the algae suspended in the tube, then falls back down to the sand bed when I stop. I thought about getting it out with a fish net but I'm afraid of disturbing the sandbed with it.

Any suggestions?
A picture of what you are dealing with would be awesome, at that point the culprit could be identified and possibly a root cause found. Once the root cause is known, the options could be narrowed down and the a few solutions presented. Another thing would be tank parameters. NO3, PO4, things like that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back