Vacuuming your tank/rock

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any tips on the most efficient way to clean the bottom of your tank/rocks without removing water?

I have a 32 gallon biocube that is bare bottom.
Lots of detritus/poop on bottom and on rocks that I want to get rid of.

I was thinking of buying a separate water pump and attaching it to a hose (to clean) and have it return to the return section of the tank so it flows into my media basket??? Only idea I can think of

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any tips on the most efficient way to clean the bottom of your tank/rocks without removing water?

I have a 32 gallon biocube that is bare bottom.
Lots of detritus/poop on bottom and on rocks that I want to get rid of.

I was thinking of buying a separate water pump and attaching it to a hose (to clean) and have it return to the return section of the tank so it flows into my media basket??? Only idea I can think of
It's a bit more challenging without a sump, but pickup a 1 micron filter bag off Amazon. You want to export the detritus, not just throw it into your filtration. Duda Diesel sells them on Amazon. Put a piece of PVC pipe over the rim to hold the bag and then use soft surgical tubing and a clear pipe so you can pinch it and control flow and a small DC pump to vacuum. The challenge, unlike doing this via siphon and gravity is your pump isn't going to like it if you pick up a little sand. This is a good vacuum I use. There may be a design out there that includes a pump to make it easier.

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit more challenging without a sump, but pickup a 1 micron filter bag off Amazon. You want to export the detritus, not just throw it into your filtration. Duda Diesel sells them on Amazon. Put a piece of PVC pipe over the rim to hold the bag and then use soft surgical tubing and a clear pipe so you can pinch it and control flow and a small DC pump to vacuum. The challenge, unlike doing this via siphon and gravity is your pump isn't going to like it if you pick up a little sand. This is a good vacuum I use. There may be a design out there that includes a pump to make it easier.

This is a really clever idea.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could just stir up the sand and let the flow take it into the filter area from time to time. You really need to be taking it out of the tank though so keep filter area clean.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back