Valentine’s giving: How do you show love to your reef?

How do you show love to your reef?

• Water changes

Votes: 164 64.3%
  • Supplements

Votes: 116 45.5%
  • Special food treats

Votes: 107 42.0%
  • Equipment upgrades

Votes: 98 38.4%
  • Adding more coral

Votes: 123 48.2%
  • Other

Votes: 27 10.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Valentine’s giving: How do you show love to your reef?

Do you ever do special things for your reef? Do you do anything for your reef or give it anything special? This is sometimes a season for giving and showing love. Maybe it is consistent basic maintenance, special treats, occasional equipment upgrades, or adding more coral to fill out your reef – whatever it is, please let us know how you show love to your reef!

MantisReef_ROTM2.jpeg

Photo by @MantisReef

Last edited by a moderator:

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a food-based treat for me. I want to start buying brine shrimp eggs to hatch as a treat and do it semi frequently, as I'm sure it would be good for the fishes' health too. Plus the novelty of watching them hunting live food is always fun.

Wish I could say adding coral, but with how full my tank is getting these days, more coral additions are starting to become new opportunities for coral warfare, which doesn't exactly sound like a good way to show my tank some love lol

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I’d say water changes, special food, supplements. I love how happy the corals look after the weekly water change and when I do my cleaning of the tank in general. I feed the tank about 4 times a week with a major feast once a week in midweek approximately. I’ve restarted using Gonipower for the Gonis and other small mouthed corals. My Bowers and Acans love the chunkier fro food that I give. I‘ve been adding pods intermittently in preparation for a new mandarin and to keep biodiversity up as well. Lastly I’ve been adding corals since it looked pretty bare not all that long ago, though it’s reaching max fill. At least on the bed.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From being an aquarium tech for a lfs and in charge of their maintenance accounts, I learned a few things:

1. Consistent water changes, (done right) can keep a softie/LPS reef within acceptable parameters.
2. A few supplements like Coral Vite for trace minerals, Iron/magnesium for softies/ macroalgae can help boost health.
3. Good quality food for fish/inverts, which when processed through the fish's digestion will feed the coral. Then back to water change's to keep the parameters in check.
4. Some live rock for bio-diversity.

One can keep a beautiful jar reef on a sun lit window sill with nothing more than an airline hose if those 4 areas of love are given to a reef.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started cultivating live phytoplankton for my tank. I would like to start live brine as well for the fish. Otherwise I say water changes!

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely water changes, adding my supplements and vitamins, and providing a variety of foods for both coral and fish. Give the tank some love and attention and it will give the love right back :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not show it love. By showing my indifference to the reef, it does well. When I show it love, it only breaks my heart.
That was so well put, it brought tears to my eyes. It was so motivational I might even go scrape a hole in the algae so I can see through the glass. I like looking down on my tank and it knows it's place. :)

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I show my love for my display tank with performing research on all specimens, equipment and protocals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back