Valentini puffer heaving breathing and not swimming.

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my tank location so it is little foggy It’s been 4 days since I moved it. Ammonia level look normal on all my test strips I test my water every 3 days just cause I new at this n I really don’t want to kill any my fish cause I think they are so awesome. Do u have any suggestions cause I literally have to read online everything I’ve learned so far n i getting ready to go n get bigger new tank for Mother’s Day but I decided put it off cause I stressed bout my fish I want them happy

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trippin bout firefish cause I couldn’t find it first few days n I wasn’t seeing it eat then. But today it was out n about but on bottom like checking me out n I saw it going after the frozen cube I put in for him. I just ordered a brine shrimp hatchery n eggs I going to try giving them some live food

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u tell which fish had laid that egg or whatever it was fish egg ? Just curious I had been trying to google images that look similar

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u tell which fish had laid that egg or whatever it was fish egg ? Just curious I had been trying to google images that look similar
No - I can't tell you what that fish is, but I can tell you it didn't hatch from an egg in your tank.

Jay

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How else would it get there I did dump the water the firefish came in into the tank but I didn’t see any eggs in it. Today my puffer n firefish are now all over tank n acting more normal or close to normal. I have a it says aqua clear 50 on the top of my filter it has 3 stage filtration water goes thru that’s what lady at pet store gave me like 50 $ I think do u have any recommendations to help me with maintaining my non reef tank to help make lil better for my fish it’s also only a 30 gal it’s my starter tank w only the 2 fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also both my fish I ordered from live aquaria online n I only order captive breed fish
Good to hear that your fish seem to be doing better. I would wait though, before adding any more fish, just to ensure the problem has gone away.

That small fish is a mystery, but it is NOT from your fish laying eggs, I guarantee that. Both those species have external fertilization, so you need a male and female at the time the eggs are laid. Then, they hatch out at about 3 mm long and only feed on plankton. It was probably scooped up in the net from the store with one of your fish, I used to work in a pet store and I had that happen to me once. Also, your firefish is very unlikely top be captive raised, that has only been done by researchers so far, and none are commercially available that I've seen yet.

Jay

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really that online store says it was captive breed good to know that I can’t always trust what is said buying fish online but I read that pet stores saltwater fish u r taking risk of disease n Parasites. What bout my filtration is that a good filter for 30 gal n is there something I can do to help clear up the fog in my tank more

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fog in the water is free floating bacteria. Be sure there isn’t any uneaten food in the tank, and that the filter elements are clean.
I wish I could help get your puffer to eat, but without other symptoms, I don’t have anything to go on. One thing, you say your ammonia test is a strip - those don’t always work really well. Does your pet store test customers water? If so, you should have them double check your ammonia level.
Jay

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K thank u for all ur advise I appreciate the help is there different kind of test I can buy to monitor my ammonia level myself

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes there is few pieces of squid in the bottom of tank I ordered a gravel vacuum to get out because I was told the valentini puffer is poisonous n my bf freaks out when I put my hand on my tank

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I seen videos of people hand feeding there puffers n that’s when I fell in love w the puffer fishes I really want the dogface puffer but wanted to be sure I can handle simple little tank before taking on bigger one w more care level

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes there is few pieces of squid in the bottom of tank I ordered a gravel vacuum to get out because I was told the valentini puffer is poisonous n my bf freaks out when I put my hand on my tank
The puffer is only poisonous if you eat it (grin). However, it is ALWAYS good practice to wear elbow length plastic gloves when working in tanks, and if you don't, wash your hands well with soap and water afterwards. There can be bacteria in the water, that if you have an open cut or sore, can get into your tissue. Rare, but could happen. I haven't worn gloves in over 50 years of aquarium keeping, and never had an issue....
But yes, any uneaten food is a big issue, get it all out. Also, a partial water change is going to help.

Here is a good ammonia kit:

Jay

ChristineRider86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K one more question I got that ammonia test kit in mail today what color on that sensor should it be at after 15 min

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back