Valentini Puffer Injury and Disease?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I came downstairs to let the dogs out and on my way back past my tank I saw my puffer stuck to the intake of a powerhead puffed up. I freaked out and unplugged it and he swam away alright but definitely has an injury to his pectoral fin. After coming down from my panic attack and on my way to work I noticed that his stomache seemed sunken in. I am 75% sure that it was not like this yesterday or atleast not this visibly noticeable. is the sunken stomache related to the powerhead injury or is it possible that I didn't QT/treat him long enough. He has been in this new tank for about 2 weeks now.

Any treatment options you would suggest? I have a neon dottyback I am giving back to the LFS cause they are meanies who is in QT until my work schedule dies down and would rather not move him back into a bucket... I tend to overreact but calling on #reefsquad on this as he is my favorite.
puffer1.jpg
puffer2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow iI hope he is okay. I have lost a puffer from similar reasons too...he got sucked into an auto water changer

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to wonder if this hobby is healthy for my anxiety. Not exactly sure how that strainer fell off but I guess I will add that to my list of weekly checked items.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I setup an unused security camera infront of the tank last week and he seems to be swimming around alright. I didn't see him eat but its likely cause I caught it right before feeding time. Not sure if I need to work in some time tonight to move him to QT or if injuries like this will heal up naturally... He is still able to use that fin from what I was seeing.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell by the photo but I think it would be more related to the injury. I'd keep a close eye on it over the next couple days. Make sure the injury doesn't form a bacterial infection. Also make sure he is eating.

Luckily you do have your QT ready to go worse case.

Back