Valentini Puffer!! - Tell me your story!

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I have a 60 gallon 4 foot long tank that's over a year old, and it's been thriving. No crash (yet?), healthy corals and fish. I want to add a puffer fish (one that isn't too big or get's too big).

I will be using a social acclimation box of course, to see how my other fish react to him first before I release him in there. I actually wanted to hear some stories of people who have kept a Valentini Puffer, in how big of a tank, and with what tank mates. Also, I'd like to hear some stories about how they did in their tank. What they ate, if they killed all your clean-up crew, ate all your corals, etc... The good stories, and most importantly the BAD stories! Lol...

I've been reading around and noticed everyone says the Valentini Puffer's are the most reef safe it can get with puffers anyway... but of course it's never certain. Only experienced stories will help in this situation!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take care of a few tanks with them. Hermits are toast. Some valentinis pick at corals, some don't. All are very personable.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a very limited time. He was just a baby and paid no attention to his piscine tankmates (Midas blenny, few small gobies, and sunburst anthias), but he went after every single snail in the tank trying to eat them. He sometimes succeeded in killing them and sometimes did not, but I figured he was only going to get better at it as he grew and sold him. I'm sure it's luck of the draw where some are crazy for the clean up crew and others are less interested. I'm not against trying another someday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back