Valentini Puffer!! - Tell me your story!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Vahanyos, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Vahanyos

Vahanyos Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I have a 60 gallon 4 foot long tank that's over a year old, and it's been thriving. No crash (yet?), healthy corals and fish. I want to add a puffer fish (one that isn't too big or get's too big).

I will be using a social acclimation box of course, to see how my other fish react to him first before I release him in there. I actually wanted to hear some stories of people who have kept a Valentini Puffer, in how big of a tank, and with what tank mates. Also, I'd like to hear some stories about how they did in their tank. What they ate, if they killed all your clean-up crew, ate all your corals, etc... The good stories, and most importantly the BAD stories! Lol...

I've been reading around and noticed everyone says the Valentini Puffer's are the most reef safe it can get with puffers anyway... but of course it's never certain. Only experienced stories will help in this situation!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2018
    Tags:

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

I take care of a few tanks with them. Hermits are toast. Some valentinis pick at corals, some don't. All are very personable.

Vahanyos likes this.
  3. Flashy Fins

Flashy Fins Active Member R2R Supporter

I had one for a very limited time. He was just a baby and paid no attention to his piscine tankmates (Midas blenny, few small gobies, and sunburst anthias), but he went after every single snail in the tank trying to eat them. He sometimes succeeded in killing them and sometimes did not, but I figured he was only going to get better at it as he grew and sold him. I'm sure it's luck of the draw where some are crazy for the clean up crew and others are less interested. I'm not against trying another someday.

Vahanyos likes this.
  4. Tallison

Tallison Active Member

Had one for about 40 min before he started munching on corals

Vahanyos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted