Valonia, throwing in the towel, time for the nuclear option, but which red button?

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a solid plan. The effect on algae was not noticeable until ~1 week, so while you certainly could ramp up the dose however you think is best for your tank, you may not see anything happen for a while regardless of dose level.

Fluconazole in animals has an acute LD50 of around 1200 mg/kg. That’s the dose needed to kill 50% of test subjects with one dose. For perspective, that would be a grown man taking about 80,000 mg. The normal dose in humans is up to 400mg a day.

With the caveat that you treat at your own risk, and my info is not professional medical or veterinary advice, fluconazole in animals is a relatively safe drug.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as most would warn against it I would find the smallest foxface you can get. My lfs get them around 1.5-2 inches. Let it clean up the tank then return it to the lfs.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your thread. I used Fluconazole at 80mg/gal in a 120 gallon system with severe bubble algae outbreak. My observations:
1) No effect on any of the fish in the tank
2) No effect on CUC (snails, hermit crabs)
3) No effect on soft corals or LPS
4) Only SPS effected were 2 montipora which lost their base color but did not die. Several acropora were not effected.
5) Bubble algae began to turn clear and die in about 7 days. 80% of bubble algae died. The bubble algae that lived tended to be in lower light areas. Took about 4 weeks to reach maximum die off.
I never repeated the dose which I believe I should’ve. Over 6 months the bubble algae slowly returned to problem levels.
Will probably try the Fluconazole again but repeat the dose in 4-5 weeks. Been reading about people having success with Brightwells Razor on bubble algae ad well but nobody seems to know what razor actually is.

ReefDunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make and sell Fluconazole powder called Flux Rx.....I don't think it's going to help with Valonia unless I've missed something on the online boards.

Wish I could help ya, but if you do want to go the fluconazole route, I'd like to offer you a beta testing price and give you 50% off retail. Let me know.

Best regards,

Eric
And for Bryopsis? Do you suggest slowly ramping up to a 4x dose or going all in?

ReefDunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use regular dose as directed for Bryopsis. Even less dose works.
Not the strain I apparently have (I'm not 100% sure it's bryopsis, but it's the closest I've found online). I tried 3x before and it didn't eradicate it. Came close. I even did a hydrogen peroxide scrub on all of the rock when I upgraded tanks. Still came back.

Any additional suggestions?

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the strain I apparently have (I'm not 100% sure it's bryopsis, but it's the closest I've found online). I tried 3x before and it didn't eradicate it. Came close. I even did a hydrogen peroxide scrub on all of the rock when I upgraded tanks. Still came back.

Any additional suggestions?
You can safely re dose and wait it out. Keep your uv off for 10 days or so if you can. Skimmer too can remove the treatment.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back