Variable PAR in nature? Lighting “ramp up” vs multiple lights with different/overlapping schedule?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am assuming the PAR corals receive varies throughout the day, certainly at sunrise and sunset, but what is the variability throughout the day/when the sun is at its highest?

I assume when people say they’re lighting ramps up/becomes more intense midday it is to replicate the natural sunlight?

does anyone without the ability to dim or brighten their lights just use multiple lights for instance 2 lights on all day but 4 lights on during certain hours?

for those who have a variable light schedule why do you do it, what is your schedule, and has it been worth it?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pretty short ramps in the morning and at night, but I only ramp up the blues. Then, in the middle of the day, I ramp the whites up and down for a 4 hour period. So I have a ramp, steady blues for a few hours, another ramp to add the whites, steady "full spectrum", then the whites ramp down, steady blues and then they ramp down to all off.

I hope that makes sense... But I do have a brighter "peak" PAR in the middle of the day. Nothing as crazy as some of the presets (Pirates, Saxby, etc), but a definite peak.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming the PAR corals receive varies throughout the day, certainly at sunrise and sunset, but what is the variability throughout the day/when the sun is at its highest?

I assume when people say they’re lighting ramps up/becomes more intense midday it is to replicate the natural sunlight?

does anyone without the ability to dim or brighten their lights just use multiple lights for instance 2 lights on all day but 4 lights on during certain hours?

for those who have a variable light schedule why do you do it, what is your schedule, and has it been worth it?
You are assuming 100% water clarity. That doesn't really happen on the reefs very often. It's really hard to take pics in any other conditions.

Set up your lighting so that you enjoy it. You will not really be able to emulate natural light on the reef.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ramp both intensity and color temperature.

it starts low and blue, then gradually shifts to high and significantly white (10-12k), then back to low and blue before turning off.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramping up lights is a relatively new thing and not necessary. It’s more for your benefit than the corals. Oh, and the fish like it too…

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%

Back