Variegated Sundial snail sold as Trochus.

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Recently I picked up what I thought was 6 trochus snails at a semi-local fish store. When I got home I realized I had 4 Trochus snails, 1 astraea snail and an unknown. After researching online, I’m pretty sure it’s a Variegated sundial snail. I contacted the store and sent pictures but the only reply I got was “don’t worry it’s not a sundial”. No explanation as to what it is or why I got 2 animals I didn’t ask for. Could someone help me ID this snail? I want to be sure before I give a review.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Benjammin

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the colonists snail go by any other name?Not much info on google about them.
I also think it’s possible the cone on the operculum was knocked off. I just think the bumpy texture on the shell looks to close to the sundial. (Corn on the cob)

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sundial snail.

OP
OP
Benjammin

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sundial snail.
And, it was in my tank for 6 days. I’m new to the saltwater hobby and trusted that the snail, although wasn’t what I asked for, was probably a helper in some way. But apparently I went shopping for chickens and got a fox instead.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do not believe that is a sundial snail.
THe tell tail feature of the sundial snail is the cone shaped operculum.
In the pictures of the snail in question IMO you can clearly see a normal operculum.

OP
OP
Benjammin

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that is a sundial snail.
THe tell tail feature of the sundial snail is the cone shaped operculum.
In the pictures of the snail in question IMO you can clearly see a normal operculum.
I have read that the operculum can get nocked off in extreme situations. Also, the shell has the relief on the side to allow the cone to pivot. I just think the bumps on the shell, the orientation of the shell while it travels and the color marks along the outer edge look very close to a sundial. If it isn’t a sundial, I’m curious as to what it is...?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sure they can get torn off, but it's part of the snail. I'm sure it would probably die.
As far as looking at the shell, I've been keeping zoanthids for a long time, and there are some that I have sworn were sundial snails until I pulled them and looked at the operculum.
I haven't had any sundial snails in my tank in a loong time. From what I remember the checker board pattern was much more striking. Clear difference between the black and white.
You usually don't see sundial snails unless you are buying wild harvested zoanthid colonies.
And you don't normally see them much anymore.
If it really worries you, then maybe deep six it.
If you want to do a experiment, go buy a cheap frag of zoanthids and see if it eats them.

:

OP
OP
Benjammin

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they can get torn off, but it's part of the snail. I'm sure it would probably die.
As far as looking at the shell, I've been keeping zoanthids for a long time, and there are some that I have sworn were sundial snails until I pulled them and looked at the operculum.
I haven't had any sundial snails in my tank in a loong time. From what I remember the checker board pattern was much more striking. Clear difference between the black and white.
You usually don't see sundial snails unless you are buying wild harvested zoanthid colonies.
And you don't normally see them much anymore.
If it really worries you, then maybe deep six it.
If you want to do a experiment, go buy a cheap frag of zoanthids and see if it eats them.

:

I think at this point I’m just hoping it didn’t lay eggs. It did sit on one of my zoas for over a day. I thought it was grooming, that zoa hasn’t opened all the way since.
Thanks for the links, I have googled the heck out of this little guy (1”). You are right, it’s missing some key features like the cone and the hole on the one side of the shell. For me though...it’s too close for comfort.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think at this point I’m just hoping it didn’t lay eggs. It did sit on one of my zoas for over a day. I thought it was grooming, that zoa hasn’t opened all the way since.
Thanks for the links, I have googled the heck out of this little guy (1”). You are right, it’s missing some key features like the cone and the hole on the one side of the shell. For me though...it’s too close for comfort.
I didn't know it was on zoanthids or that you had any.
I would pull them out and look for any egg masses.
Better to be safe than sorry. Deep six it.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks more like a Frankenstein Turbo snail than a sundial snail.

OP
OP
Benjammin

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know it was on zoanthids or that you had any.
I would pull them out and look for any egg masses.
Better to be safe than sorry. Deep six it.

Yeah, I’m about 3 weeks into starting a zoa garden in a 30gal. It’s my first SW tank so I felt zoas were a easy first step. (Acan, Duncan, and GSP as well).
your going to laugh at me but it’s being set up for a Green Spotted Puffer that my wife bought 3 years ago (brackish till now). And yes, I understand the irony of being worried about snails when the snail crusher is moving in soon. It kinda an experiment and if it doesn’t go well I’ll be finding him a new home.

OP
OP
Benjammin

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got more photos now that the shell is cleaner if anyone is interested.
10AF701C-0F7A-4E28-B534-DB341A733615.png
7E0C158B-42FB-458F-AA8A-F12982DF928A.png
C9DC314D-ACD3-40B2-9D7A-F2B5EC163DA9.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back