Vectra M1 Shuts down and has a hard time restarting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectra M1. Pump has been in service about 2 years. Why does it shut down so often, then try’s and try’s to restart... eventually it normally does start pushing water. Can’t say I enjoy hearing my ATO alarm go off so often because of this.

I clean it a minimum of every 4-5 months.

Thoughts??? It’s been trying to restart for over 10 minutes this time around. Might have to hard reset it this time. Shouldn’t have to do this.

Wonder how often this occurs when no one is home?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...doesnt seem like its supposed to happen.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remove the impellar and check for any damage in the interior of the pump. Swollen magnet or damage to the interior plastic could point to the issue.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSeaV1

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the impellar and check for any damage in the interior of the pump. Swollen magnet or damage to the interior plastic could point to the issue.

I ended up cleaning it. There was a slight bit of calcium build up, deep in the pump, however there was none on the magnet itself.

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly completely disappointed with this pump. Shut down again. 15 minutes it’s been trying to restart.
how much head u pushing on it? i got the same problem but im pushing about 8 to 9ft of head on it so I thought that maybe the issue... I'm not impressed with the eco tech return pumps myself

OP
OP
DeepBlueSeaV1

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 11 ft w/ head pressure. I ended up taking it apart again. That’s twice in 11 days. There was the slightest buildup of calcium, on the plastic on the end of the magnet. Nothing that I would have thought would cause the pump to seize up. Was able to rub that off and once I put it back together, quickly reset itself and started pumping again. I only run this thing at 33% or so. I really like the controllability but it’s done this ‘shut down thing’ and inability to restart way to often.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first one died at almost one year and Ecotech replaced it. The replacement was much more powerful than the first and has been running non stop for two years and has never been cleaned. On my pan world pumps every three or so years I would hook up a hose with vinegar and water and run them for five minutes, replace the vinegar/water mix with tap water and run for another five. I hear of people having issues with pumps that are cleaned frequently, more than I hear of pumps that are not. If you have a temporary pump you can use I would pull the m1 and run it in a very mild solution of vinegar and water for a hour at 100%

OP
OP
DeepBlueSeaV1

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third time I’ve had to break this thing down in the past 3 weeks. Replaced normal Kalkwasser with BRS pharma kalk about a month ago. Going to route my ATO line away from the pump.

letting it run in a Vinegar / water bath for 15 minutes this time.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d avoid vinegar altogether and use citric acid. Vinegar can pass through plastic therefore rusting magnets from inside out. Only found this out a month or so ago but when I think of how many pieces of equipment I’ve had where the magnet swells...it’s unbelievable.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you clean it you might try and lubricate it with food grade vegetable glycerin. You can get kosher food grade glycerin on Amazon inexpensively. It works great for pumps powerheads, etc.. and keeps build up to a minimum.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSeaV1

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't heard of this lubrication method with food grade vegetable glycerin. Will research.

Thinking it was the placement of my ATO kalkwasser top off tube. Moved the supply line to a different section of the sump. See if there is any difference. Longest it's gone without a 'reset', since I moved the ATO line.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the food grade glycerin from Amazon. Tried posting it here but wouldn't accept link

MeezusReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the exact same issue right now. I took the pump apart and cleaned then reassembled. Started fine for a few days and back to stalling and trying to restart. Did you call ecoTech?

OP
OP
DeepBlueSeaV1

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the exact same issue right now. I took the pump apart and cleaned then reassembled. Started fine for a few days and back to stalling and trying to restart. Did you call ecoTech?

I have not called ecotech yet, but will after the Thanksgiving holiday .

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d avoid vinegar altogether and use citric acid. Vinegar can pass through plastic therefore rusting magnets from inside out. Only found this out a month or so ago but when I think of how many pieces of equipment I’ve had where the magnet swells...it’s unbelievable.
Vinegar only seems to be potentially problematic with extended soakings (24 hours+) and then only sometimes. Unless there is more compelling evidence since I last looked.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back