Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

So today I was about to buy the return pump for my 150 gallon tank and I was about to buy the VarioS-6 pump but I noticed that the Vectra M2 is on sale for the same price making me doubt on my initial decision...

I saw that the VarioS is compatible with the Apex. I don't have an Apex right now but I might want to buy one in the future. Also the Mobius app doesn't look bad at all. This being said, which pump would you recommend since they are currently the same price?

Thanks!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios-6 here. Have both a vectra m & varios8 (I have a varios 2 & varios 6 in skimmers). Both are great pumps but what puts me on the varios is the float switch

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios-6 here. Have both a vectra m & varios8 (I have a varios 2 & varios 6 in skimmers). Both are great pumps but what puts me on the varios is the float switch
Doesnt the Vectra has a turn off switch in the pump? And do you own an Apex controller? I am asking because I don't and I want to know if you can configure feeding schedules without the need of the apex.

Thanks

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had it hooked to my apex (before I switched to ghl). It’s easy to hook in- there’s a cord you buy that allows you to hook in 2 1-10v into the head unit. The difference with the varios is that it has a float switch that will turn off your pump if the water level gets too low so the pump won’t run dry. (You can also use the float switch the opposite way for skimmer cups). The vectra doesn’t have that option. (Not sure if it turns off auto with no water… haven’t tested)

The varios also has 2 food modes! Push the button 1x and it’s 15mins -push it 2x and you get 60mins with the pump off. This is another advantage to the varios.

I’ll add that I’m going to probably get 2 m2s on this sale but for a closed loop, not a return. Sticking with my varios there.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had it hooked to my apex (before I switched to ghl). It’s easy to hook in- there’s a cord you buy that allows you to hook in 2 1-10v into the head unit. The difference with the varios is that it has a float switch that will turn off your pump if the water level gets too low so the pump won’t run dry. (You can also use the float switch the opposite way for skimmer cups). The vectra doesn’t have that option. (Not sure if it turns off auto with no water… haven’t tested)

The varios also has 2 food modes! Push the button 1x and it’s 15mins -push it 2x and you get 60mins with the pump off. This is another advantage to the varios.

I’ll add that I’m going to probably get 2 m2s on this sale but for a closed loop, not a return. Sticking with my varios there.

Mmm I will be honest with you. I didn't know about the GHL controller until you mentioned it (I did a little research and it seems more reliable than the Apex). I can see the benefit of having the 0-10V port if I had a controller. Which honestly is something that I am looking to get in the future. I will probably wait until Black Friday or when it has a good discount.

What you mean the opposite way for skimmer pumps?

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used VarioS-4 and 6's. They are great pumps, but I prefer Vectra's. Go with the M2
If you don't mind. Can you elaborate a little more about why do you prefer the Vectra?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you don't mind. Can you elaborate a little more about why do you prefer the Vectra?
I don't really have any major issues with the VarioS pumps. They might be a tiny bit louder ( in my case, maybe not others).
I have used the Vectras since about 2014-2015, just like them better.
Having said that, if I acquired a new system that had a VarioS return pump, I would not change it out.
I am using one as a skimmer pump now.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the VarioS and Vectra's are excellent pumps in my opinion and both do turn off if run dry. I have 2 of each brand. A VarioS 6S for my 220-INT Elite Skimmer and a VarioS 6 for my mixing station. Also have a Vectra L2 for my return pump and a Vectra M2 that feeds the UV and Refugium. If you compare the Vectra L2 with a VarioS 8, the Vectra L2 has a higher GPH but the VarioS 8 has a slightly better Head Height. So you probably can't go wrong with either brand.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you mean the opposite way for skimmer pumps?
Instead of it turning off when empty, it’ll turn off when the collection cup is full.

re:ghl vs. apex…. If you think you have opinions comparing these pumps, wait til you ask about the controllers :) truth be told they are both good and serve their purpose- both with advantages & disadvantages. Similar to these pumps- you won’t go wrong with either.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't thought about it. So this is why a lot of people use the VarioS pumps for the skimmers.

Haha you probably won't see a thread about it. I am going to go with GHL. As much as I like the Apex I always loved German technology.

Thanks for the transfer of knowledge!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh I didn't thought about it. So this is why a lot of people use the VarioS pumps for the skimmers.

Haha you probably won't see a thread about it. I am going to go with GHL. As much as I like the Apex I always loved German technology.

Thanks for the transfer of knowledge!
My Octo skimmer came with a VarioS-6s pump.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back