Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All:

I am looking to pick up a return pump for my new Innovative Marine 100 EXT tank. The sump is directly under the tank so I assume there isn't much head pressure. I have seen mixed opinions on how much sump tank turnover a tank should have. Bulk Reef Supply says 5-8x and some on forums say 10x. If that's the case, I would assume the S2 would be fine? Please let me know your thoughts!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Going down the list of posts here on R2R, the next post was about a sale at Premium Aquatics with Vectra pumps 20% off today only.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going down the list of posts here on R2R, the next post was about a sale at Premium Aquatics with Vectra pumps 20% off today only.
I actually just got off the phone with Ecotech Marine and asked for their recommendation. With my tank being 100 gallons and the sump sitting directly under the tank, they recommended the S2. I did see BRS was running a sale and just picked up the S2. :star-struck:

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All:

I am looking to pick up a return pump for my new Innovative Marine 100 EXT tank. The sump is directly under the tank so I assume there isn't much head pressure. I have seen mixed opinions on how much sump tank turnover a tank should have. Bulk Reef Supply says 5-8x and some on forums say 10x. If that's the case, I would assume the S2 would be fine? Please let me know your thoughts!
Also...be careful about those "turnover" numbers. There is a good article / post on here somewhere. But I'll try to sum up then go find it.

EDIT: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...d-powerheads-for-the-reef-tank-part-1.572239/

There are two "definitions" of turnover.

1. Basically how much water gets pumped out / back into the tank. In my case that's 500gph which I measure via a flow meter on my return line. By that definition I'm at 5x "turnover"

2. How may gallons per hour is flowing "inside" the tank. This is a combo of the 500GPH of my return plus the addition of both my MP40's. IIRC they are set really low but around 1750GPH...so in that definition of turnover I'm at ~4000gph or 40x turnover

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80g total and run at 45%
Also...be careful about those "turnover" numbers. There is a good article / post on here somewhere. But I'll try to sum up then go find it.

EDIT: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...d-powerheads-for-the-reef-tank-part-1.572239/

There are two "definitions" of turnover.

1. Basically how much water gets pumped out / back into the tank. In my case that's 500gph which I measure via a flow meter on my return line. By that definition I'm at 5x "turnover"

2. How may gallons per hour is flowing "inside" the tank. This is a combo of the 500GPH of my return plus the addition of both my MP40's. IIRC they are set really low but around 1750GPH...so in that definition of turnover I'm at ~4000gph or 40x turnover
I have an M2 on my 100 EXT. I'm at 500gph at ~65% power (IIRC)

I went ahead and ordered the M2. For $90 more, I'd rather have peace of mind. Plus I plan on plumbing in a UV sterilizer running off the return...somehow. Lol. At least it gives me more flexibility long term.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I did

1660923435858.png

Back