veggie clips what you all using on thicker glass?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3/4" glass 18mm I believe wondering what nori/veggie clips you guys find work well and worth the $$

the two little fishins have a thinker mag. one but its $50 will it hold up to tangs? anything else I should think about?

Agree those veggie clips are overpriced, but rubberbanding nori or live macroalgae to rock and drop in tank daily (and getting wet) isn't my idea of fun.

On the plus side, over time I forget how much paid for magnet and clip... I've got two to spread the algae eating aggression out among fish (but rock with rubber band is $0, and two rocks with two rubber bands still $0 ... but I really like using my clips)

Occasionally I clean my clips same way I clean my pumps - quick soak in citric acid then toothbrush scrub. Usually in same water as I wouldn't mix up citric acid just to clean a clip or algae scrubber magnet (I leave those IN tank so they get coated)

Tangs will tear that nori up so I found multiple foldings helps slow that down (a bit... as they grow they get smarter and stronger). Weirdly macroalgae they TEND to nip from the ends inwards so they don't create as much of a mess as if they started on the clip edge which would free the branch of Ogo to float everywhere. I like how if I'm careful to have all the Ogo branches IN the clip, the clip keeps them held

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree those veggie clips are overpriced, but rubberbanding nori or live macroalgae to rock and drop in tank daily (and getting wet) isn't my idea of fun.

On the plus side, over time I forget how much paid for magnet and clip... I've got two to spread the algae eating aggression out among fish (but rock with rubber band is $0, and two rocks with two rubber bands still $0 ... but I really like using my clips)

Occasionally I clean my clips same way I clean my pumps - quick soak in citric acid then toothbrush scrub. Usually in same water as I wouldn't mix up citric acid just to clean a clip or algae scrubber magnet (I leave those IN tank so they get coated)

Tangs will tear that nori up so I found multiple foldings helps slow that down (a bit... as they grow they get smarter and stronger). Weirdly macroalgae they TEND to nip from the ends inwards so they don't create as much of a mess as if they started on the clip edge which would free the branch of Ogo to float everywhere. I like how if I'm careful to have all the Ogo branches IN the clip, the clip keeps them held

nice info I believe I had some suction cup type years ago...at least i think I did?
as of right now I will only have one tang purple- arriving tomorrow .

but wanted to get a algae feeding station worked out.

I guess i could just use my flipper mag cleaner. that would be free and no wet hands either. lol

do you remove yours when they are done or leave it in the tank 24/7?
I hear of the mag. rusting and leaching.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice info I believe I had some suction cup type years ago...at least i think I did?
as of right now I will only have one tang purple- arriving tomorrow .

but wanted to get a algae feeding station worked out.

I guess i could just use my flipper mag cleaner. that would be free and no wet hands either. lol

do you remove yours when they are done or leave it in the tank 24/7?
I hear of the mag. rusting and leaching.

I'm lazy so I do tend to leave a clip or both in the tank more than I should BUT I do try to remove uneaten food at end of day (that doesn't happen any more though..... I have pigs) Neither clip is over a year as I've had tangs just under year. I only went to 2nd clip when there was fighting at the first single clip.

Yes, your cleaning magnet edge will likely also work!

Nori tearing isn't clip fault, its tang strength. Dulce was recommended but so far mine don't want to eat dulce (but I haven't forced them to just that as their algae every single day...) Depending size of your purple tang upon introduction you are likely fine with nori - there are different nori types (green, red & purple). I try to offer variety to help with diet. I'm sure you'll find what works best for you and your purple. Keep us posted!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a great vid from parkers reef:

looks like both the TLF pouch and the standard clip will hold to 3/4" ( 19mm) glass

now to just decide on the pouch vs the clip..

I have pouch and *I* like pouch but my tangs haven't figured out how to use pouch... Or the holes bother their snouts - not sure - just know i end up throwing away a good bit of whatever I put in there... though my sailfin nibbles SOME broccoli ends if in the pouch and clip doesn't work for broccoli. Could be I just need to force them by not using the clips for days and instead using only pouch.

NOTE - my tangs were afraid of the clip in the very beginning - it took my wrasse recognizing nori was food to teach the tangs to go to clip...

My tangs are dumb, I'm lazy, ... its a bad combo but we're making it work (giggle)

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of plexiglass
20210126_110623.jpg

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having problems with the magnetic style and ended up removing the clip from the magnet and suspending it from a short piece of fishing line. The other end is tied to a suction cup that attaches to the top rim of the tank. It is munch easier to retrieve and doesn't require putting your hand in the tank.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed a hook on a clamp from thingiverse then take the suction cup off the clip and hang it on the hook. Works like a charm.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back