VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my.. second build thread on #Reef2Reef. I will.. as best, explain-kind of where i'm at.

*New updates coming

180_next to 120.jpg

cabinetDoors.jpg

loaded_intruck.jpg

NewSand.jpg

Phone Break.jpg

sump.jpg

tank filled 2.jpg

Tank Filled.jpg

The Tank Transfer.jpg

tank filled 3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post another quick update. Ended up with this small guy.. Tiger Pistol Shrimp ( Thanks to the guys on the board on helping me identify it! ).

Hes been mostly keeping to himself so far! WE shall see how his interaction on the tank changes, as fish load, and coral load increases!!

Pistol Shrimp.jpg

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Figured i would share my current, RO DI setup.

Please Excuse the mess.
20170304_015857.jpg
PURE Water 6 stage with UV, and i added on the dual stage DI resin. Turns my 130TDS water into a steady 0. When i flush creep, it only rises to 3.

I use multiple TEMP storage solutions ( alot of times TEMP for me turns into AWHILE ). 40 Gallon Can, 30 gallon Tote, and a 20 gallon tote. 40 and 20 hold fresh, 30 gallon used for mixing. ( i do 30 gallon water changes. ).

I will soon have the limit switches, and selenoids wired up, hopefully being able to do an automatic water change with an press of an Apex Button.

RO DI 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed my order for a few bulbs. Going to be trying a few different combo's.

ordered:
4 ATI Blue Plus T5 Bulbs..
2 ATI Coral Plus
2 Coralife actinic
2 Coralife 10k Full Spec
2 Wave BlueReef Blue spec.

Pretty Sure i'm not going to be needing all 16 bulbs.. we will see. Don't want to throw too much light at the tank.

I do not believe, I will need to use all 16 bulbs 8 per side ( Think of it as; 8 - 72" Bulbs ).

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed a 16 bulb, (it is two 36" 8 bulb fixtures put together ) has 4 electronic ballasts, 4 bulbs each. I am actually installing LED drivers and LED's along with the timer, from an old fixture. Fish seem to get extremely finicky when lights click off

16 bulb light fixture.jpg

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed a 16 bulb, (it is two 36" 8 bulb fixtures put together ) has 4 electronic ballasts, 4 bulbs each. I am actually installing LED drivers and LED's along with the timer, from an old fixture. Fish seem to get extremely finicky when lights click off

16 bulb light fixture.jpg
oh, my mistake, it looked like the aquaticlife 12 bulb 6 foot fixture they use to make.

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, my mistake, it looked like the aquaticlife 12 bulb 6 foot fixture they use to make.
Hey no worries!! I am just glad you are following!

Thanks! I will post updates, when i finish rebuilding the light fixture into the canopy, and adding the LED lunar lights. Also putting together a Algae Scrubber, few other's DIY thing's.

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Spent past few days working on the Custom Canopy. Here's Where i am currently, and here are a few build photo's. Kids chimed in on the project.

Canopy2.jpg
And the Build photos:
CanopyStart.jpg
Canopy12.jpg
Canopy11.jpg
Canopy10.jpg
Canopy9.jpg

Picked up Lunar Lighting LED. To blend the lights ON/OFF
Canopy lunar lightys.jpg
Canopy8.jpg
Canopy7.jpg
Canopy6.jpg
Canopy5.jpg

Canopy3.jpg
For the Light Controller/Timer Placement; Center.
It will control on off times, as well as nighttime and Morning Lunar Lighting. The Fans have a built in Temperature controller. I am debating on using an External Controller with display, on the FANs. Or integrating them into the Apex.
Canopy2.jpg
Canopy.jpg

Canopy4.jpg

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Added a new guy to the Tank. Received him from a friend. Ofcourse, the kids jumped to naming Him/Her to Dory! I recommended Flow (Dory's Reflection is named Flow in the movie)
Dory New guy.jpg 20170408_143618.jpg 20170408_143552.jpg

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. Phase 2 of Canopy is finished. Installed a 3 pole timer I acquired from an old fixture. Mounted it center. Still deciding how i want to separate the lighting. The hood itself is now installed on the tank, However I do still need to finish installing the upper front doors, hardware, and finish up the lunar lighting. Once i decide how i will integrate that into the apex, i will be moving forward!

As it sits right now:
Canopy Installed.jpg
Testing the timer:
canopy_blue light test.jpg

Just finished installing the timer. I sued break away lines for removing the light for maintenance. I also used a rail system, to slide the fixture forward or backward, or to remove.
canopy_wiring.jpg
Will need a cover over that. Eh.. Works for now.
canopy_wiring2.jpg
had to replace the wiring on the lights completely, and install a new ballast. Also, 4 fans were toasted.
rebuilding Lights.jpg
New bulbs!
rebuilding Lights2.jpg

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. That's a lot of bulbs to have to replace every 10 months to a year. I'm working on my 180 stand and canopy now. Good luck with Flow. I'm following.

Jose102173

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build. will be following, presently have a 120. I will be upgrading to a 180 the next couple months as well

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Been cycling the tank grtting ridnof algae.

Placed an order for a replacement skimmer, yesterday I lost my cleaner Goby.

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New skimmer update. I installed a Reef octopus 250. With a bubble blaster 3000! Outputs from 800L (Factory) to 1400L of air. And almost double water flow!

Huge difference!!

Had to lift my skimmer 3"!

Phosphate remover must be working, as I have dead algae everywhere. Wish it Would come off easy! ITS EVERYWHERE lol

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALOT has changed. We've decided to move on.. and purchased a new house. So......

Yes the tank got moved. If I had.the time I would of upgraded to a 300.. however, thing's didn't go so well!

Anyways. I have moved the tank, re aquascaped.. and currently setting up a small fish room the floor below the tank, with refugium, sump , etc.

Will post photos and details of the re setup soon!!

Heres a current photo!

20170814_124204.jpg

20170814_124243.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back