Velvet after 2 weeks of 2.0 ppm copper?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated a moorish idol and bimac anthias with 2 weeks of 2.0 ppm copper power, confirmed daily with the Hanna checker. I also fed them GC-medicated food daily for 2 weeks and dosed GC/metro for the first 10 days. All was fine, no visible symptoms of anything. After 2 weeks of treatment, I transferred them into a clean non-medicated QT with black mollies and now on their 11th day, I see symptoms of what I think is velvet. I don't see anything on the black mollies, but on the moorish idol and bimac, I do see what I suspect may be velvet, but it's only visible at certain angles of the light. No other symptoms - no flashing, eating fine, swimming fine. Is this velvet? If so, what would be the best course to take? I do not have access to CP. Or could it be a nasty case of lymphocytis or something else?

IMG_6294.jpg
IMG_6309.jpg
IMG_6312.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think copper power takes a month to do its thing. Cuprimine does it’s thing in two weeks.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your velvet diagnosis.

What kind of copper do you use?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think copper power takes a month to do its thing. Cuprimine does it’s thing in two weeks.
Either one should work fine after a 14 day treatment as long as fish are removed from the tank that they were treated with the copper and moved to a sterile tank. As long at the copper level maintained a therapeutic level throughout the 14 days.

Copper Breaks the cycle of the parasites by killing off the free swimmers. When the transfer is made to the second tank there is a risk of also transferring a viable tomont which would allow the parasite to cycle in the second tank.

If you only use one QT then you should treat for 30 days no matter what kind of copper you use.

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks are usually enough, but not always. That is why obervation period is recommended.

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on doing a 5 minute freshwater fish, 90 minute acriflavine bath, then into a sterile qt for another round of copper treatment. What cooper concentration can I start with and how quickly can I ramp up considering they already went through a 14 day treatment at 2.0 ppm 11 days ago? Can I start at a higher copper concentration and quickly ramp up? Should I treat at 2.25 ppm this time and for 30 days?

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should I try the H2O2-modified TTM if I do indeed have a copper-resistant strain of velvet? Assuming I took care of ich already from my previous copper treatment, how long do I need to do the modified TTM for just treating velvet? I think I remember something like 9 days due to the shorter lifecycle.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just speculating whether GC/metro dose messed with the effectiveness of the CP.

I would start at 1.0 and ramp up over a couple of days.

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eager to dose copper again and wanting to explore options with H2O2, I reached out to @Humblefish. He suspected it may have been brook (but not completely ruling out velvet). Regardless, he suggested trying a 30-min 150 ppm H2O2 bath followed by a transfer into a sterile QT which would take care of both. I did this 2 days ago and they are looking great. I will continue to observe for 30 days. H2O2 really seems promising.

IMG_6471.jpg
IMG_6472.jpg
IMG_6473.jpg
IMG_6477.jpg
IMG_6506.jpg

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what ended up happening with this? Curious if it was brook? I would think the 10 days of metro/gc would have knocked it out.

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still unclear what exactly it was. But after the H2O2 dip, it cleared up. I observed for a month after the dip and gave it the all clear. For good measure, I did another H2O2 dip before transferring to my DT. They have been in my DT for almost 2 weeks now and so far everyone is doing great.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still unclear what exactly it was. But after the H2O2 dip, it cleared up. I observed for a month after the dip and gave it the all clear. For good measure, I did another H2O2 dip before transferring to my DT. They have been in my DT for almost 2 weeks now and so far everyone is doing great.
I recently had a tang that literally had spike looking growths coming off of him 2wks after copper and a few rounds of GC. It was gone in a few days and hasn't returned (Also in the DT). Seems like fish can have some kind of reaction to the meds in QT that can resemble other disease.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back