Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are coral safe from velvet?

Yes. Though velvet can hitch hike into your tank on hard corals and live rock, it doesn't feed off of coral or other inverts.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Though velvet can hitch hike into your tank on hard corals and live rock, it doesn't feed off of coral or other inverts.

+1 Corals, rock and even some inverts can have tomonts encysted to them which release dinospores (free swimmers) that infect fish.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobby, we need to hit the LFS we talked about. I have all the tanks identified with the specific parasites and plenty of test specimens!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Corals, rock and even some inverts can have tomonts encysted to them which release dinospores (free swimmers) that infect fish.

I introduced ICH into my DT with some Mexican Turbo Snails I bought from Petco once. I knew the tank had ICH among other parasites, but I couldn't believe it happened to me. Lesson learned...I QT everything now for about 5 weeks depending on what I've treated or what's going on. I'm extra careful. I usually do TTM w/ Prazipro and then observe for another 2-3 weeks. I've had Velvet pop up on the 3 week mark. I've also had Brook pop up later down the road too.

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress pictures can hopefully inspire and help others:

April 22:
_cVoMGNOaatila_KYHec5RXln_TxwiQhD-Td_Cg7Q6oLluE5jU8gpYyEbwpRpiUXS7XKhAXJpcwLXc154SWxU9eL0MU-Rsrr8JO0uCFTKyCXn5I7W6jyMsyxY9BspaS87IpNz5pUaQoS4PHsh9wzE7UaNF41vHOp3cBtkg1ybOIi5Tio5oQ4XbxhxjDLhploRGVjZth-JciH5u9DhcF74RF5qllWy5mbdW7BzKjiLlGQ4rcnskHJLWu9h5J4ud69f5DeOAExM9ZeKAHNYxf3JSJmHbClucTGgQFt5lwkVjjZyTSfad87WPl1uf-9PeybymG9MfovHJOzQ5XSGB-epgV4nRH7rd6JlJD2xji4HpDZ-dsMXiBy_sf6eMHcNZt20XlBmLNgoYoR9yFUYNI0bHQo5xES0rk6XH9__16QBXesJYEATtmKJS7duHnvxtaSG-3Q9evKzEDyyCeDPV-qK32iwFeVU9nRDI8qDcdbrMspREzXiPxxII4vklH4YHvWEeXezSWeVpdba4rU11I0L3P6lsl8Z55soqbYHrnx4TkM3MFTD-n0gc66vES4yAxaFp-TOw=w1779-h979-no

April 26:

Wg0H8-EWddNijPRaUsHinWFbmqKuh9SgEmxT84LdIttOErgeCbdZyC7JQbkPE8ZmoLGyh4QUmV0z5Dicsh-oSnznb3RaPpiuZS-NLTc-uIutEiSfZUxeSQaDTesQrdi-re1eIABoEKnUIpBQMRI3sbQn8ijlK4zYORrsRD-XnRe5l0Sd90JdAnjGQydnace6f3tWLo4FnG4JLeXtez7YRqT7DqokszEVHgjfETcHKKoNkC5DvvRcucvbGLUoJ12uXMYpbC9n_chRh0ce2s4RS9Own2EYrHLeuqMHb-NZUZXtZYk7RVBgFuFzgz9JryAhuWgZ8lWeAp0Of0d4SfBHQ0IzDD8m_jUOkJOVfxpQTfFNMB85n4ou8yYjWGPPxBUZzqnl-wqDCJdqVoUs7KCUV8PWcC5Z7ltf969f7GqXtPkm3qVaEb29RpAQJh9YO3uyRHu_QWTKy7sXjhSxAAa3Pfe9QfdBdfSglioJu4McwLJ33WPORHzoDk7UHQVlUmw-X-qT1m78GfEVl3SZVg-yPNZ_LGCKo_W4vS9KRtgXNOKMIXXJsGR2koXviu8G5HcnRi1hJw=w1197-h979-no

May 1:

JR1sHfy_Rw2e07W4B3Oag8CIe2nBe5kdqifrx1SbArZpm1QNK2BIbVOvtAnon9SkxCJ7mDPVZRGG7lJBzTCvnVPqnr48AQIk3TX_WDoTVLM8qyphXAaCsO-kAyMwirfN_BXXwwFfDrjQXz1TZ5veLTXtPrbghsoqGHzixF94gOOP2Pnaed38lF7AVokWh3zMzX0KM4Uc6yKW6SY7yTWrWq6qpJjSm2FLw7eJ0pdBdS-3Ftr5n6aLaShUQWD3Ci_jWAINRS8R3EA7dYebCw_MAe6T6c_RiyCY-DM803M0jwrwQxqfWsCEeyUF4_oNpWIDOgyUyIcFRq5LGPkWSFqi-M7s6vOr8NskZE0qncYXp_Hw7V6bj4fjobXPvSlqCQ9QrxechGjrL_AL_2XIHuOLSnuO8HpbcnSp7t33_8OHlW12ENW6VWBwZSAidZS6LeXoteArxvRP2FrwNbLKyW9rDJGeQsHyJ6XMZWg5oz7bPeDmjCiWr4CY87qanXtYrVN_HBAwffkQBCUfUzN2ngogpEeFVPYFyajmw-dV0PlkUamdT0hogO11_Y-yOtpchPFDLaCn7A=w1061-h943-no

Thank you everyone for the coaching:). Could not have done without this forum.

A follow up question. There is still a tiny scratch like thing above his right eye. It is visible in the picture. Will it go away eventually?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the coaching:). Could not have done without this forum.

A follow up question. There is still a tiny scratch like thing above his right eye. It is visible in the picture. Will it go away eventually?

So glad you saved her! :) I think what you are seeing (above the right eye) may be a slight case of HLLE. See below:
Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.
IME; fish (especially tangs) exposed to copper will sometimes develop HLLE but it heals up afterwards. Soaking fish food with Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem greatly expedites the healing process. :)

Xtc_link

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome information in this thread! I introduced velvet with corals from reef-a-paloosa. Seen first signs Thursday so I tore the 150 apart to get the fish. Couldn't get with the ppl at my local fish shop for cp or formalin. So I dipped with fw and placed them in the copper qt tanks.

As of this morning the only fish that are still alive is a clown goby and chromis and two dragonets.
Lost the sailfiin, carribean blue tang, flame hawk, Indian bristle, engineer goby.

The mandarins are not in copper I moved them to another tank cause they showed no signs.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarins are not in copper I moved them to another tank cause they showed no signs.

Just so you know, the mandarins may not show signs of velvet, but they can certainly carry it and pass it to other fish. Their thick slime coats keep them fairly safe from the parasite and keep them from showing obvious signs.

Xtc_link

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, the mandarins may not show signs of velvet, but they can certainly carry it and pass it to other fish. Their thick slime coats keep them fairly safe from the parasite and keep them from showing obvious signs.

Yea they definitely won't be going back into the display before being treating. I just didn't want to put them directly in a copper tank. Their tank the copper is being slowly risen. All the large fish were in trouble so I had little time to slowly ramp up the Cu level.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea they definitely won't be going back into the display before being treating. I just didn't want to put them directly in a copper tank. Their tank the copper is being slowly risen. All the large fish were in trouble so I had little time to slowly ramp up the Cu level.

Mandarins dont usually tollerate copper treatment. I get how you may be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Can you get ahold of Chloroquine Phosphate?

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been cruising along through here and now i'm wondering. Should I add reef rally to my mix after TTM & Parazi just go to make sure some velvet isn't hiding ? I've had some anthias in QT for over 2 weeks I was about to put them in my DT soon. Now i'm thinking I should run some rally just to be positive? How harash is rally on the fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been cruising along through here and now i'm wondering. Should I add reef rally to my mix after TTM & Parazi just go to make sure some velvet isn't hiding ? I've had some anthias in QT for over 2 weeks I was about to put them in my DT soon. Now i'm thinking I should run some rally just to be positive? How harash is rally on the fish?

I dont think it's as harsh as formalin, but in reality velvet should show symptoms within a month at the very LATEST. Most of the time it shows well before that. This is why we recommend observation for two weeks after TTM + Prazi is complete. It's a total of 4 weeks of QT.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if it's not harsh then why not run it for the 3 days instead of waiting it out ?
Unless I'm wrong I thought the instructions said three days ?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if it's not harsh then why not run it for the 3 days instead of waiting it out ?

I could be wrong. I haven't been able to get acriflavin at my LFS yet or ruby reef rally to experiment with. @Humblefish has more experience using these than I do at this point. I'll let him shed more light on how harsh it may be and treating prophylactically with it.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am positive that both acriflavine & formalin are capable of complete eradication for brook, but only temporary relief when it comes to velvet. Only copper & CP have been proven capable of complete eradication for velvet. So, what could happen is you actually mask symptoms of velvet while treating with acriflavine and delay symptoms showing up. Therefore, I would advise using acriflavine only once - 1 hr before doing a transfer.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So rally doesn't eliminate velvet? I read in one of your earlier posts you were using it to treat velvet? I just bought some of it thinking I could pre-treat. Also your post is kind of confusing? You say not to do it for masking symptoms which makes sense, then only once ? Should I not do it?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So rally doesn't eliminate velvet? I read in one of your earlier posts you were using it to treat velvet? I just bought some of it thinking I could pre-treat. Also your post is kind of confusing? You say not to do it for masking symptoms which makes sense, then only once ? Should I not do it?

He means dont treat with it prophylactically. Only use it when you know you have velvet and use it in a dip on the fish's way to QT and actual treatment.

Back