OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bobby, my guess would be it came on a frag as I haven't added fish or cleanup crew in the last 6-8 months. Or perhaps they all built up a temporary immunity and with the move of the tank, it flared up and killed a ton of fish.

Thanks for the confirmation of going copper and adding metro to the antibiotic cocktail.

I'll check out the emergency protocol now. Biggest problem is I have a 3 month old at home now so I only get snippets of time during his naps to attend to this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check out the emergency protocol now. Biggest problem is I have a 3 month old at home now so I only get snippets of time during his naps to attend to this.

I'm glad I got the chance to see your tank before this happened; but it also makes it more heartbreaking now. :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you were still in Austin! I need the dial an expert button!

We are on the road now, looking for our "perfect place". :p Wife got the green light to work 100% remote. :)

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are on the road now, looking for our "perfect place". [emoji14] Wife got the green light to work 100% remote. :)
Oh awesome! Let me know where you guys end up landing! That's got to be really exciting to have all options in front of you. Bali? [emoji6]

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your losses. I agree with all of the advice already given and am hoping you'll be able to turn it around for the rest of your fish :(

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the emperor died, but that's to be kind of expected with a late stage velvet infection. Its sad because I've had him about 4 years and saw him transition from a juvi to an adult.

The remaining fish are in a QT with coppersafe and antibiotics. I'm crossing my fingers for a full recovery of these fish and no more losses. Thank you all for your assistance and advice!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty - So sorry to hear that. :( I think you did everything right, except the CP in the Ick Shield failed you. When I questioned NLS about their product, they admitted to me it is CP sourced from China and they do not test for purity. So, who knows what you're really getting? One batch may be fine, the next may be subtherapeutic. :confused:

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty - So sorry to hear that. :( I think you did everything right, except the CP in the Ick Shield failed you. When I questioned NLS about their product, they admitted to me it is CP sourced from China and they do not test for purity. So, who knows what you're really getting? One batch may be fine, the next may be subtherapeutic. :confused:
Thanks Bobby and I appreciate the information. Its a shame about the product as having something over-the-counter like that would be beneficial for a lot of hobbiest.

I think I have some openings for some new fish soon. Maybe you can come back to Austin for a few months. [emoji6]

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. My flame angel from the same QT has developed Popeye. I've medicated with Maracyn twice and with Kanaplex twice. It's still there. Only in one eye. Any other medication i should try?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. My flame angel from the same QT has developed Popeye. I've medicated with Maracyn twice and with Kanaplex twice. It's still there. Only in one eye. Any other medication i should try?
One eye usually means a physical abrasion instead of popeye. Popeye is usually in both eyes.

Betta4673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, I am going to call in the experts because this is a little bit out of my league. @Humblefish @melypr1985 @ngoodermuth @Brew12
Next a couple questions, how long have they been in QT? Do you have any pictures of the red sores? I'm not familiar with the NLS ich powder, do you know the active ingredients? What species of fish are you treating? If it appears that it's not being effective then I think you should switch over to the coppersafe. You would however have to run carbon for at least 24 hours to remove the ich powder or transfer to a brand new tank. For the brook acriflavine bath is a good treatment however you may want to try switching out the erythromycin for metronidazole. Now I'm no expert, but I am wondering, if you have another QT that you can setup at least 10ft away, if it would be an effective idea to give fish an acriflavine bath then transfer them into a new QT with metro, kana, furan-2, and first dose of coppersafe.
Hopefully everyone will come in soon with their expertise and help you out. I'll be rooting for you, this is a tough situation.
Need hp treating velvet in betta tried salt higher temp meth blue metroplex sulfaplex and kanaplex just a couple doses. Was eating but stopped today when I fed metroplex yesterday in seachem garlic guard he totally hates that stuff

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back