Velvet/Brook/Ich... stupid question

stcroixohana

New Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2021
Messages
23
Reaction score
13
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Hudson
So, I responsibly introduced to fish without quarantining from a big box pet shop, naturally, within days everyone was sick breathing heavy and showing what appeared originally to be ick but then seemed to manifest itself as either brook or velvet. The last one clownfish and one coral beauty I treated a sailfin tang, filefish, and clown in Cupramine for 5 days but the API test kit wasn't showing readings and I had way overdose so I moved them back into my DP.
Since, my community had blue been showing signs of any infection or parasite (2 weeks) but I'm planning to move everyone into a 90g that's been fallow for 2 months and, of course, want to leave bacteria and parasites behind.
My tank currently houses
1 dragonet, 1 lawnmower, 1 sailfin tang, 1 filefish, 1 spotted hawk, 1 PJ cardinal.
The 3 mentioned above were treated, I lost the clown in the process.
So.....
Can Brook or velvet magically disappear ? I ask given that no other inhabitants showed symptoms and now everyone seems in perfectly good health, not afraid of the light, eating regularly, and just generally pretty harmonious.
I intend to remove the Rock as I've already removed the inverts and do a full copper treatment before moving everyone into this new tank but I guess the question really is: can these bacterial issues simply run their course? Or should I expect them to reappear at some point as I'm trying to schedule the copper responsibly as I'm waiting on a Hanna tester to come in the mail before dosing again.
Any insights appreciated, thanks
 
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Brymac1

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2020
Messages
207
Reaction score
493
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Foristell, MO
Just because fish do not show symptoms does not mean it is not in your tank. If you want to completely eliminate it I would: treat the fish for 30 days with copper at a therapeutic level (get a better test kit), and move all rock and inverts to the new tank while the fish are being treated. Make sure to leave the new tank fishless for at least 45 days to starve out any parasites living on the rock or coral.
 

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2020
Messages
10,528
Reaction score
9,836
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Dundee
So, I responsibly introduced to fish without quarantining from a big box pet shop, naturally, within days everyone was sick breathing heavy and showing what appeared originally to be ick but then seemed to manifest itself as either brook or velvet. The last one clownfish and one coral beauty I treated a sailfin tang, filefish, and clown in Cupramine for 5 days but the API test kit wasn't showing readings and I had way overdose so I moved them back into my DP.
Since, my community had blue been showing signs of any infection or parasite (2 weeks) but I'm planning to move everyone into a 90g that's been fallow for 2 months and, of course, want to leave bacteria and parasites behind.
My tank currently houses
1 dragonet, 1 lawnmower, 1 sailfin tang, 1 filefish, 1 spotted hawk, 1 PJ cardinal.
The 3 mentioned above were treated, I lost the clown in the process.
So.....
Can Brook or velvet magically disappear ? I ask given that no other inhabitants showed symptoms and now everyone seems in perfectly good health, not afraid of the light, eating regularly, and just generally pretty harmonious.
I intend to remove the Rock as I've already removed the inverts and do a full copper treatment before moving everyone into this new tank but I guess the question really is: can these bacterial issues simply run their course? Or should I expect them to reappear at some point as I'm trying to schedule the copper responsibly as I'm waiting on a Hanna tester to come in the mail before dosing again.
Any insights appreciated, thanks
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Im concerned that the five days of copper isn’t enough to completely break the life cycle. I typically suggest 30 days, but some people do 24. The 5 days may have knocked the parasites back, but they could start back up again.

I doubt you have Brooklynella as that doesn’t respond well to copper. My guess is you have ich, and it got fairly advanced, mimicking symptoms of velvet.
Jay
 

What do you use?

  • Gfo

    Votes: 28 5.9%
  • Carbon

    Votes: 171 36.2%
  • Carbon & GFO

    Votes: 152 32.2%
  • Water changes

    Votes: 328 69.5%
REEFTIDE
Top